Knife Mags?

tony281sc2

Gold Member
Hey bladeforums members,
I recently received an issue of “blade” magazine as a gift, and was happily surprised by the content, as well as the amount of pages (since magazines have been going the way of the dinosaur).

To me, there is just something about reading something in print that’s much more enjoyable than reading on a screen for more than a few minutes.

So I have subscribed to knives illustrated and now Blade magazine (both in “print”) for only a couple dollars per issue, I consider it money well spent for the entertainment…. So I was just wondering how many, if any, of you folks are subscribed to these magazines, or how many have even heard of them. Just thought I would share, and I’m looking forward to more issues of knife magazines!

Tony

I used to subscribe to Blade. It was/is probably the best mag for knife enthusiasts and I would suspect that not many on this forum have NOT heard of it. The reviews are usually relatively unbiased when compared to some of the other rags, and I always enjoyed paging through it.

As you indicated, magazines have gone the way of the dinosaur with the internet machine now - but Blade was always the "bible of knives", for me anyway.

Years ago I went to Borders Books. Asked the cashier if they had Blade magazine and they looked at me strangely and pointed to the far end of their display where the adult material was kept. To my shock their was a gay lifestyle mag called the Blade. I didn't find anything interesting in the Blade (Knife) magazine, but I bought it anyway and made sure the same cashier helped me.

Also Blade and Guns and Ammo are toilet reading staples. Just don't get the same effect from scrolling on the phone while pooping. The Spyderco and Cold Steel catalogs are a must for powder room reviewing too.

I have been a subscriber to.blade for many years. I know print magazines are dinosaurs but since I apparently am becoming one too why not? I also read <gasp> print books and do other things associated with the olden days.

American Handgunner review of the Benchmade 970 CQC7 led me to Blade, to learn more. That led to my knife hobby. Good times on the “paper internet” of gun and knife mags. A lifetime of enjoyment.

I am not into the Knife Magazines; I shoot competitively and I don’t even get any firearm magazines. They all seem to be little more than advertisement promoting the various manufacturers products. No thank you.

I've subscribed to Blade magazine for years. Recently the print and paper quality of Blade magazine has really improved. I'd say its by far the best knife magazine currently in print. I still miss Tactical Knives magazine.

So you like the new matte finish? I'm sort of undecided. The actual thickness of each issue has certainly reduced over the years!

Mark Zalesky's Knife Magazine is by far the best cutlery publication out there. I usually thumb through Blade each month for a few minutes but I seldom find anything forth actually reading. How many times can you say "Cutlery Hall of Fame" in one paragraph. Its an honor they invented and then turned around and awarded to themselves.
Knives Illustrated seems to have disappeared off the racks around here. I was wondering if it was still in print?

I miss real magazines. Tactical Knives, edited by Stephen Dick, was one of my favorites. Haven't seen Blade anywhere on the shelves in Canada but it's available on-line.

Had a subscription to Blade and sample issue of Knives Illustrated both did have the same type of content that Tactical Knives had.Recently was cleaning and found a miss place copy.Flipped through the pages and read a few of the articles.Still my favorite knife magazine.It too bad the publisher discontinued the magazine as I remember the Editor Steven Dick was not too pleased by the sudden decision.

I have found Blade along with the few other firearms magazines at one of my local Drug stores.London Drugs carries a vast variety including some of the older adult magazines that I care to not mention here that I would of thought,vanish by now

Last edited:
I've subscribed to Blade, Knife Magazine (formerly Knife World) and Knives Illustrated for years.

Last July, I accepted an offer from Knives Illustrated to renew my subscription through 2024 (7 issues) and paid the entire price in advance. I never received the first issue of 2024 (Buying Guide issue) despite their promises to send it and eventually was told that: (1) they have stopped publishing the magazine; and (2) the elusive 2024 Buying Guide issue was the last one.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that they're still advertising (and accepting money for) subscriptions, but experience and the representations made by their Customer Service department suggests that you won't get what you pay for.

Back