Knife making, blade tempering web site...

Yea, I can qualify for that klutz part. I have a couple of 10" table saw blades that are in pretty bad shape. They are not as thick as I would like to use but, it will save running around looking for material for the first shot at making a knife.

I am short of the right equipment to really handle hot steel so, I will probably make a pair of tongs first. I am going to set up a fan for use in the BBQ. It is getting hard to find anyone who has a forge now days. Seems that about 99% of the horse shoers now use cold shoes.

I feel like I have to try at least one time.:D :D :D

to harden the edge of the POS khuk a neighbor gave me.

It started out 16 1/2 inches long, and was a shaped steel club with a blade so soft that a paring knife could peel curls of metal off the edge with little effort. The handle was the thickest full-tang tree-trunk I've ever held. The weight of the tool was centered about an inch in front of the handle. If you didn't use your whole arm, the khuk wouldn't move...I didn't measure the full weight.

Right now, it's about 14 inches long, the handle is contoured for my hand, a substantial amount of metal has been taken off the bottom of the blade, and inch-plus off the end, and another inch or so off the butt. I put in a new cho since the original one was taken off during the excess metal removal process.

I am NOT skilled. I used what I had at hand, and will try and emulate tempering over a charcoal fire to harden the edge.

Since the price was right, and I would never use it as it arrived, I have no compunctions about messing with it. If I can get any kind of hardening on the edge, I think I will stop before I screw it up. Then, I will use it.

Kis
:rolleyes:

We're all in this together, somehow

Back