Knife mechanisms Vol 1 and 2 Books review

Hi everyone,

today it is not a knife review but a book review on knife mechanims by LeRoi Price.
These 2 books are really full of information about how the knives work.
I really liked the technical explanation of each mechanism, it reminded me of my lessons in mechanics and industrial design.
The 2 books give a rather complete overview of what is happening in the knife-making sector.
In the 2nd one there is especially an explanation on balisongs that I have loved
It is also good to understand how an OTF works without having to dismantle it.

I really love these books for the ideas they bring to knife making.
The author really did a monumental work to write these books and they are really worth a look.

I found the first one on usaknifemaker and the second one on knifekits.

For all those who like knives, don't hesitate.

1546451212-51sjbimnf7l.jpg

1546451213-91yootwyvbl.jpg

@ldolebonze

Last edited:
No just here ;)
It was to leave my impression on these two books.
I didn't put images from the inside out of respect for the author, there is amazon for that.

there is no need for stars or ratings either, but for those who have these books or want to discuss them I thought it might be interesting.

@ldolebonze

I have read the first book & liked it so much I asked for & just got the second one for Xmas.

If you'd like to know how knives work and enjoy a book with a conversational tone, this is for you. Leroi Price has a distinctive writing style that I find enjoyable. My only disappointment in the first book is it didn't cover autos, but as promised they are in the second edition. He has plenty of well done drawings to go along with the discussion.

One thing that you learn is some simple knives are complex and some complex ones are inexpensive and there are many ways to make a knife "work". More ways than the "expert amatuers" can imagine. I'd say it's a good choice for cutlers as well. But as Leroi stresses, this is not a "how to do it" book, but a "how's it done" one.

in the second book the autopsy of the automatic knives from Benchmade, microtech and G&G Hawk is really highly detailed.
the ball system of the deadlock is really well explained.

@ldolebonze

Depends upon what your definition of "good" is.

The first book I've read cover to cover, but not in one sitting. I read a different mechanism every couple of days. It was great if you like knife mechanisms. There are no assisted opening, switchblades or OTF knives, these are in the second book. The second book deals with a lot of OTF and assisted opening knives, these are more complex, but strangely I find these a little boring. That's why I have yet to finish it...but I will. If you have no mind for mechanical things, these are probably not the books for you, especially the second one.

The author is quite a character, so if you don't like his style, you will have trouble reading the books. However they have a wealth of information about cutlery mechanisms you won't find anywhere else. There is sufficient detail so you know how it works, but if you are thinking that there are patterns to help the knife maker, that's not the intended use of the book.

I recommend both, but if you have reservations, buy one and see if you like it.

Hi everyone,

today it is not a knife review but a book review on knife mechanims by LeRoi Price.
These 2 books are really full of information about how the knives work.
I really liked the technical explanation of each mechanism, it reminded me of my lessons in mechanics and industrial design.
The 2 books give a rather complete overview of what is happening in the knife-making sector.
In the 2nd one there is especially an explanation on balisongs that I have loved
It is also good to understand how an OTF works without having to dismantle it.

I really love these books for the ideas they bring to knife making.
The author really did a monumental work to write these books and they are really worth a look.

I found the first one on usaknifemaker and the second one on knifekits.

For all those who like knives, don't hesitate.

1546451212-51sjbimnf7l.jpg

1546451213-91yootwyvbl.jpg

@ldolebonze
There is no more paperbacks for sale.. just Kindle... You run into leroi, tell him he's got some work to do lol! Those look wicked interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I'll be watching to see if more come to print.

Oh gosh yeah. I can't do a Kindle, it just doesn't seem right to me lol! Same goes for music. Yeah I have playlists on YouTube.. but I'd rather have music in record or cd form most definitely.. tape cassettes not so much.. I don't want to have to fast forward for 10 minutes to hear one song lol

Back