Knife scale repair/patch?

I've got a very nice Laguiole Le Fidele with olive wood scales I received as a gift many years ago. A couple of years ago something fell on it and broke a piece of one of the olivewood scale, near the pin on the one end.

Is there is easy patch for this? I mean, I don't want to replace the whole scale, but it feels slightly uncomfortable in my hand. Can I put some sort of putty or something in? (Unfortunately the piece which chipped out in lost.) Or something else which doesn't require replacing the whole scale?

You can patch it with wood filler. You can get it at your local hardware store. You can sand it, drill it, stain it, paint it. I think it might work ok. If you want it to be rock hard and basically become part of the knife, you could use JB Weld. It will be on there forever though.

If you post this in shoptalk you'll probably get more answers.
Could you also post a pic?

You could use sanding dust to fill the void then saturate the filled hole with ca glue (crazy glue). You could also use finely ground coffee if you want to fill it with a black colour. This may work well for olive wood.

Let it sit for a day, then sand it until it's nice and smooth and matches the rest of the scale.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have any woodworking projects going on at the moment, so perhaps putty would be better than sanding dust, at least if I want to do it sooner than later.

Here are a couple of photos:

YwCZqKQ.jpg

TADdnO1.jpg

Is it worth reposting in shoptalk?

Yes, it's definitely worth posting there. You'll get a ton of suggestions from gentlemen who would know exactly how to fix that. Good luck to you sir. Looks like a cool knife.

You should be able to fit in a piece of wood to glue in.

Back