How To Knife screws?

Hello gentleman, I have never really had the experience of taking apart a knife, but I have always wondered does one screw fit them all?...in example say a spyderco knife screw use the same screw as a bench made, size wise speaking, I know they usually are t6 or t8...also where can I buy replacement screws without having to ship my knife back to them?..it seems too a lot of guys replace their screws with blue ano Ti screw which I want to do eventually to my knife as well....
Thanks for any help!

Two knives from the same manufacturer might not share screw size or type, clip screws being an exception since most companies use the same clip on different models.

I certainly wouldn't expect screws to be interchangeable across different brands. You might get lucky from time to time, bit I wouldn't count on it.

Sometimes screws are the same diameter but a different length.

If you take a couple of sample screws to a well supplied hardware store, they'll sort you out. With the exception of brands that use propietary hardware (like Microtech on some of their knives).

Have you asked the manufacturer for some? Most of them don't like to send internal parts like washers or pivot bushings, to combat counterfeiting I guess, but I've never had anyone balk at sending me some screws.

84CBAE64-579B-432D-B7F1-CE6D739972D4.jpeg To get a replacement screw, you need to specify the length, diameter, thread pitch, head style, material, and installation tool size. For example here is a metric pocket clip screw. The length is 6mm, the diameter is 2.5mm, the pitch is .45mm/thread, the material is stainless steel, the head style is oval head, and the recess in the head fits a #6 TORX driver.

If money doesn't play a rolex, I paid like 12 bucks shipped for a full screw set (titanium alloy) specifically made for the pm2. The vendor has various titanium anodizations, I chose narural ti color.

I didn't order from eBay , although I believe that she is also there.

The screws in modern knives are there for assembly, not disassembly.
There is no need to take knives apart, as a rule.

I disagree. I have many folders that needed to be disassembled to remove dirt and rust. Also to get a drop of oil in the sweet spot. Some knives needed pocket clips retensioned. On other knives, blades were swapped. Sometimes various grades of Loctite were applied as needed to prevent screws loosening. In some cases, blued screws were replaced with Stainless or Titanium ones. Sometimes lock bars needed adjustment. Sometimes frames needed to be anodized. The reason I buy screwed together knives is so I can modify them to my satisfaction.

Back