Knife scribe

Can anybody point me in the right direction to finding a knife scribe? All the websites I looked at from a google of "knife scribe" were out. I was wandering if their was anyone on here that makes them or not but wasn't able to find anything. If you know of a website or if anyone you know makes them I would greatly appreciate the help. Thanx in advance fellows or gals.

If you are not equipped to make one up, Oregon Blade Maker on Ebay has them listed. At least he did last time I was browsing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I just use my calipers now, since i can at least find them when i need them. I saw a really slick one recently that was just 3 pins evenly spaced, the center pin was a little shorter then the outside ones and pointed. you just put the edge of your blank between the outside pins and rotate the scribe until both pins are touching the blank flats. regardless of the stock thickness, the center (shorter pointed) pin is now centered. scribe away.

You can use a height gauge too. I found one in a pawn shop for $20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just use my calipers now, since i can at least find them when i need them. I saw a really slick one recently that was just 3 pins evenly spaced, the center pin was a little shorter then the outside ones and pointed. you just put the edge of your blank between the outside pins and rotate the scribe until both pins are touching the blank flats. regardless of the stock thickness, the center (shorter pointed) pin is now centered. scribe away.

That is a nifty design and I've been meaning to make myself one like that, since I have a hard time keeping some blades flat on my scribes little shelf. Also, no more measuring. When I get a granite I'll probably use a height gage too but I just don't have the room at the moment.

That is a nifty design and I've been meaning to make myself one like that, since I have a hard time keeping some blades flat on my scribes little shelf. Also, no more measuring. When I get a granite I'll probably use a height gage too but I just don't have the room at the moment.
Counter companies will usually give you a cut out

I'm in a small town very few resources like that I'll just buy a surface plate when I free up the space.

Kuraki.
Go to a couter top , cabinet shop and see if they will give you a sink cut out of granite or even quartz.
Frank

Kuraki.
Go to a couter top , cabinet shop and see if they will give you a sink cut out of granite or even quartz.
Frank

I can spend $100 on ebay for a shop grade surface plate or spend 3 hours driving to a cabinet shop. I'll spend the $100.

Work would let me take this one home if I had any way of moving it at my place....

rLfYa7.jpg

i'd send you one, but this shipping will likely kill me
actually, if you're interested i could check. I get great shipping rates at work. i shipped a knife overnight air yesterday insured for $4.

Try with drill bits ? If knive is 4mm thick use 4mm dril bits sharpened cone from the back side / easy to do if you use borer and grinder bench / and you have your center line .If You want two line , use 3mm drill bits and you have two line with 1mm. thickness between ? All you need is flat surface and Locking Plier to hold drill bits .

i'd send you one, but this shipping will likely kill me
actually, if you're interested i could check. I get great shipping rates at work. i shipped a knife overnight air yesterday insured for $4.

Wow, sure Kevin. I would be happy to pay the shipping if it's not terrible. Thank you.

Height guage and surface plate. You can buy GOOD (Starrett, Mitutoyo, etc.) used vernier height gauges on eBay for the same money as the crummy Chinese ones, and then you have a quality tool that you'll find a million other uses for. My surface plate/height gauge combo are among the most important tools in my shop. Lost without them.

I'll let you know. Probably can't do anything till next week.

I'll ride by the granite shop tomorrow and let you know. I went by last week and the guy was like damn you want some scrap please take some. I need to go back and get another piece I'll get 2.

Back