Knife shows in Hawai`i?

Damn, after reading about all the NYCKS and other shows in the past, I really want to go to one. My friend said there was going to be a gun/knife show here in a few months, but I don't know if that's true.

Anyone know about upcomming shows in HI?

All we got are the semi-annual Historic Arms show, they usually happen in March and September. Some knife shops are there, Chin from the Stadium Swap meet is always there, with some smokin' deals and Power Edge and Young Guns are usually there also.

Some local custom makers show up, Carl Zakabi and Stan Fujisaka are normally around, Ken Onion used to go, but I haven't seen him lately. Tom Mayo was there this past September, he had 3 nice Beefy-T's, too bad I couldn't afford one.

That's about it, IIRC, about 5 years ago there was talk about having an honest to God knife show here, there were even advertisements in Blade Magazine. Ultimately, it's just not economically feasible for knifemakers to fly themselves and their stock all the way here, find lodging and pay for a table at a knife show, and expect to turn a profit.

Anyway, keep checking the paper and Blaisdell Center's website around the end of February, there should be more information on the exact dates and times of the show.

Hey you know that guy from the channel 3 (?) news? The guy that does the buisness news?

He said a while ago, something about Powder edge dissappearing. Apparently they dropped off the face of the earth (the store in ward was completly cleared out, no returns of phonecalls/emails). I went there for the first time maybe a week before he said that and they only had that national geographic climby clipy knife thing, LM Crunch, LM micra I think, and couple of Vics.

Sounds good though, thanks for the info!

You're thinking about Powder Edge, the snowboarding/hiking/camping store in the Ward Village shops. They had a branch in Ala Moana that closed down a while ago, AFAIK, the Ward store is still there.

The store I'm talking about is Power Edge Knives, they are on Waialae Avenue, near 11th, on the mauka side. If you like knives (or airsoft), you gotta go there. They have the usual stuff, like Benchmade, CRKT and Spyderco, but they also carry Strider, Chris Reeve, MOD and Microtech. A nice collection of Surefire stuff too, they had a M900 last time I was there.

Back