Knife Storage System

Thought I’d share a new project I’ve been working on. I have been feeling guilty lately that I am not being nice enough to my knives. I wanted to come up with a storage mechanism that is easy, accommodates changes in my collection, and keeps them all from touching each other (and anything else).

What I came up with is a customizable, stacking tray that can handle knives of all sizes, up to about 13” OAL.
IMG_0678_zpstgypg4ie.png

It’s based on (surprise) laser cut Baltic Birch pieces that slot together quickly to create 4 rows for knives.

IMG_0667_zpsnm1gm96d.png

IMG_0669_zpsoaf1p07a.png

Each row has slots every 1.5” in which you can place a handle cradle, or blade cradle.
IMG_0670_zps8ptrfzch.png

You can vary the distance between the handle and blade cradle to suit the knife.

IMG_0671_zpstkci6how.png

The blade cradle is cut to squeeze the blade to keep it upright and prevent the edge from biting into wood. There are three blade rests in the blade cradle.

IMG_0673_zps6vcfysch.png

The center rest is used if only one knife uses the blade cradle.

The two outside rests are provided so that knives can be arranged pointing at each other to share a common blade cradle and overlap – this allows you to fit more knives in the tray, but still keeps them all separated.

Still playing with the design, but I'm pretty happy with how it holds my knives.
IMG_0681_zpsoxrktdst.png

Hey all, Thanks for the kind words. Not quite sure where I'm going with this one, so if you have strong opinions let me know. Like I said I originally made it to clean up my own collection. Though I made it to stack, I'm not using it that way. I have one tray layer in a drawer with sheaths on the side. Works well for me since I previously had my knives in the same drawer, just much more jumbled up. I rotate some of them out onto magnetic stands.

I had also thought it might be nice to make a box or cabinet to enclose 2 layers of tray, so it does not need drawer space.

Back