Recommendation? Knife storage that won't break the bank?

shootist16

knife law moderator
At home I use an A.G. Russell knife block and love it. I need a knife block or other storage for my son and his roommates to keep their knives in. Recommendations for something that is a good value? The knives they have are cheap and I don't want to pay more for the block than the knives.

You can get some inexpensive plastic blade guards that slide over the blades and they can just store them in a drawer with no concern about the edges getting dinged up.

Wood and bamboo on-counter blocks are pretty cheap. You just need to match up the number and size of slots to what knives you plan to put in them. If it's just a few knives, IKEA sells a 5-slot bamboo for $13.

Blocks can get disgusting and alive really fast if people put wet knives in them!:oops:

I use and recommend Magnet strips! They are inexpensive, Clean and your knives are air dry & visible to your knife needs selection!

+1 for magnetic strips. I also use them for screwdrivers and other tools.

Another vote for checking Ikea. My wife got tired of the knife block sitting on the counter. When we redid the kitchen, she found a wooden drawer insert that works for both of us. Or, if you wanna go really cheap, and don't mind a little bleaching and sanding, there are always knife blocks at the thrift store.

Magnet strips. I have 2. One gets used in the shop for hanging screwdrivers and whatnots. The other is for the kitchen knives. I took a piece of Duct tape and covered the strip, because it would scratch a blade finish pronto. I think they make some that are wooden, with magnets imbedded inside....a little pricier.

I have a dedicated drawer for my large kitchen knives. Seven of them. I merely cut a 2 X 4 the width of the drawer and cut the board seven times with a radial arm saw, then screwed the board to the drawer from the outer side. Holds the knives well, and only two inches of wood touches them at all. I'm kind of a cheap fabricator, needing something to do that afternoon. Took about a half an hour.

Back