Knife Terminology

This is a nice e.g. of the English Jack. She is almost 5 inches closed.

17-05020.jpg

The black background obscures the profile of these nice old knives a bit, but I'll give it a shot. It's like a surprise quiz my math teacher, Mr. Kessler used to torture us with!!
Assuming less than 4" in length;
The Joseph Allen looks like a Slim Jack, the Robey is a Regular Jack, the Catt is an Equal End, and that very cool Miller Bros, is (drum roll please!) a Curved Regular Jack. As opposed to a swayback, which, I'm sure you know Vince, would curve the other way!!
How'd I do??

Charlie,with these being over 4" closed,does that change what they are called ?
Thanks Charlie,
-Vince

Here are some more Curved Regular Jacks. I put the "shadow" Scagel in here because it seems to fit, and implies that Sodbusters seem to fall into this category also, given it's Soddie like character.
JacksCurved.jpg
!

Charlie,with these being over 4" closed,does that change what they are called ?
Thanks Charlie,
-Vince
I just meant the Regular Jacks could be called English Jacks if they were over 4", Vince.

For s-k's request, I quote BRL, who says it so eloquently;
EurekaBlurb.jpg

Let's see who's doing their homework!!
What's this knife called??? And what's the story behind the stamping;
WeXL
WeXL.jpg

Before you move on... curved regular jack differs from a saddlehorn jack, how?

Thanx,
Mike

MaleX, a saddlehorn has more of a curve and a bulge at the butt, or bottom end. Here's a real classic, that belongs to Tony Bose, and has inspired some of his nicer creations.
The name of course, was inspired by the horn of a Western Saddle. Anyone have a good pic of one to show us?
WilbertSHpile.jpg

Before you move on... curved regular jack differs from a saddlehorn jack, how?

Thanx,
Mike

The butt end of a saddlehorn has a more pronounced curve and is generally wider.

Thanks for the pic, s-k! Your Jack is English in more ways than one!
Sorry it has been a while since I've posted; life always intrudes on knifely business, OR IS IT KNIFELY FUN??:)
Here's a pattern most often associated with whittlers and pens, but often used as a Jack. Only one of my examples here is a Jack, and it's an HJ at that, no surprise. Please post JACKS in this pattern if you have one of these rare beasts.
A pretty pattern, but what to call it??
It is a swell-center balloon-end pattern; an ugly name for such a shapely thing! I've taken to calling them swell centers, because it makes the mental picture for me, but it conflicts with a more traditional balloon jack as described in LG4. Some old catalogs call them balloon jacks, as does BRL, so I guess that's what they are. Note, Balloon Jack, and Balloon Regular Jack are two different patterns!!:eek: I'm becoming less confused, but I ain't there yet!:jerkit:
So here are some examples, as I said above, only one being a jack.
SwellCenters.jpg

SchattCarpWhitts.jpg

So I have a question; what do you call the old Empire? A rat balloon? And in the second pic, are those slant balloons??
Balloon gets its name from the bulbous bolsters that remind one of hot air balloons, or so the story goes.
Well, life would be boring if we didn't have diversity, so I guess this is a small example. A teacher once told me, a sign of maturity is being able to accept a certain level of uncertainty. 45 years later it gets truer and truer!

As always, fantastic knives waynorth and provocative post. This Wostenholm seems to fit the description. I call this handle a swell-center.

tips011.jpg

A beauty, s-k! Now that is a swell center Jack, as opposed to a balloon Jack! Often referred to as a Coke bottle, or Coke Jack. Perfect example for our discussion here, to point out the differences!

I think that this has been one of the best threads I have seen. Thanks to everyone for enlightening us "young'ns"

Charlie,
Here is a saddlehorn...but, it's a Trapper. Hope that's OK.....

o5nc5x.jpg

Then, how about a small Coke?

13za6uc.jpg

Great thread!!

Bill

Then, how about a small Coke?
Would that be a cane sugar coke? :p
great knives indeed.

@ a-k and waynorth beautiful knives as always, I'm jealous about this outstanding stag/bone on your knives.:thumbup: keep em coming

ps: we should have a drooling smiley :D

Peter

Charlie,
Here is a saddlehorn...but, it's a Trapper. Hope that's OK.....
Looks O.K. to me:D!
Nice variation on the Trapper! So. . . . .what's a
TRAPPER?

I have collected several types and brands of cutlery, but trappers are not one of the patterns I've gotten around to. You gotta stop somewhere (maybe). Anyway, I am going to rely on you intrepid readers to supply us with pics! There are standard, slim, mini, large, and probably many others. Let's see your favorites please!!

Ah, trappers. I love the single blade and double blade versions built on the large (heavy) trapper pattern such as the Remington R-1306 (R-1303) and R-1123.

I've never been very partial to the standard trapper because of the long spey and oftentimes slim clip.

Slim (light) trappers with their serpentine handles are also attractive patterns imho.

I'm not fortunate enough to have a nice older Remington...:(...but, here is a "beefy" smaller Trapper style, that most everyone has seen around.

eu0d9v.jpg

Bill

Back