Knife Thoughts 💭 Grail Thoughts 💭 ?

ses5925

Basic Member
Wanted to get the thoughts of knife gurus in regards to knives to strive for overtime. Here’s a list that I’ve considered to shoot for as my collection grows. Anyone have anything else to consider “going” for?

Oz Machine Company - Roosevelt
Machinewise - Sonora
Robjohnsons- Cedar
Demko - AD20 USA textured titanium
Koenig - Arius
Kody Eustler Knife

Thanks!

What’s in your collection so far? Specific reasons for adding these knives to your collection?

Full disclosure… novice… consider myself a beginning collector. At most use a knife to open package / box. My line of work does not require it daily knife usage. I do like to carry in pocket. My favorite my favorite that currently carrying is Kunwu Pulsar XL

Reasons for adding… rarity, aesthetics, falls under the category of “you like what you like”

Probably $1000 for a knife … then I would have to wait a bit before the next purchase. I enjoy the process. Hope this makes since.

As others above have suggested, a person's "grails" depends on his/her specific perspective/needs/uses/interests/etc.

In terms of brands, I'm mainly a Kershaw/ZT & Spyderco collector.

In terms of types, I'm a collector of autos, balis & "fighting knives, as well as folders & fixed blades.

I've got a few (what I'd consider my) "grail" knives in each category, as well as several crossovers (but opinions will differ).

Here's a glimpse of a few that I consider "grail" knives of mine:

Kershaw Tilt
ZT 0600
Spyderco Nirvana

Automatic: MT Halo V
Bali: Hom Basilisk-R
Premium Brand Folder: Shiro Quantum Ursus NL
Fighting: Fox 599TIC Karambit
Fixed: Randall Model 2-7

PS: I could easily select other knives as my "grail" knives in these categories but these are the one's that I consider my "grail" knives as I write this list today.
LOL! ;)

Last edited:
Honestly, your list seems like it's just a collection of the most hyped knives on Instagram right now. If you don't have a particular reason for liking each of those knives, you might be disappointed with what they offer considering the cost and hassle associated with attaining one. You might want to try out a few long time favorites to get a feel for what kinds of knives you like first. Personally, I also avoid going after whatever is the flavor of the month right now since you end up overpaying when you could have gotten a better value from something that's underappreciated instead.

I hear what you are saying… but like I said I’m new to blade game. So i think i will tend to gravitate towards the more hyped knives. What long time favorites do you recommend?

I hear what you are saying… but like I said I’m new to blade game. So i think i will tend to gravitate towards the more hyped knives. What long time favorites do you recommend?

Chris Reeve's knives have always been top notch, but their quality and design is top tier in more subtle ways that you slowly grow to appreciate with use. Hinderer is kind of like a rougher, beefier cousin that still has nice tolerances. Shirogorov has become the archetype for flippers that just fly open. Busse and their related brands for hard use fixed blades. William Henry for dressier knives in fancy materials with button locks. Protech for side opening automatics.

At a slightly lower price point, the Taichung Spydercos (especially the titanium framelocks) have an especially nice fit and finish. Emersons can be worth trying just for the ergonomics. Reate has built up a track record for being especially nicely machined.

Sounds like you want to go deep in the rabbit hole with higher end knives. Nothing wrong with that. Here’s what I’d suggest if you’re serious, buy a gold membership, go explore the exchange and look to see what’s selling. Sometimes, a great knife isn’t necessarily expensive. If you decide to buy from here, do a check on the member here and see if they’re a part of the community or just here to flip knives. Never, and I mean never use PayPal friends/family. Folks that are a part of this community will work with you on payment types.
Knives to look at, CRK, Shirogorov, Spyderco, RHK, William Henry, Zero Tolerance.
Good luck on your quest.

Hell yeah! All great responses and recommendations! Sounds like I have countless hours of research to do … and have my wife ask me again , “are you looking at knives again?”

Im a really big Anso fan to my holy grail have to be a Isola, Neo or a Orso.
I have allready placed my deposit for the Aros and the wait is getting real hard.

I have a pretty wide-ranging collection. I would suggest you “need” a Sebenza; it’s really a benchmark blade for so much else in the knife world.

Worth adding TRM to the list.

I would also suggest that spending $1000 on a knife as a total novice is foolish. Don’t be that guy who drops $10K on on $5K worth of knives (overpaying for what’s currently hot) and then doesn’t know how to sharpen them. Sure you’ll get a ton of positive feedback from all the other guys who jumped on those particular bandwagons but stay around long enough and you’ll see how enthusiastic they are right before they dump their blades at the height of the market and move on to the next hype train.

Back