Recommendation? Knife to commemorate new born son, custom shop

Hey guys. I’m thinking about doing a buck 112 and getting my sons initials and birth date on it, two of them. Does anybody have either of these models with actual samples of the handle materials? I have a custom shop 110 with elk, s30v and drop point in nickel. The custom shop builder doesn’t really give great detail of the materials and variations.

If you are really concerned about the look of the elk, I would suggest a purchase on the bay. This way you will know exactly what you are buying. Then when you receive your purchase, have it locally engraved. May cost a little more, but no surprises. I have seen Buck customs on the bay for the same price as a custom from Buck, even less. Recent sales show one at $27 more than the BUCK custom shop and another at $6 less. You just have to be patient.

Last edited:
If you are really concerned about the look of the elk, I would suggest a purchase on the bay. This way you will know exactly what you are buying. Then when you receive your purchase, have it locally engraved. May cost a little more, but no surprises. Also i have seen Buck customs on the bay for the same price as a custom from Buck, even less. You just have to be patient.
No I love the Buck elk. I own two knives with it. I was just wanting to see peoples custom shop knives with different materials as real life photos and variations will give me a better idea of what it looks like. I was most interested in the Buffalo horn and a few of the more expensive woods.

ok, understand. I really like ironwwod. Buffalo horn is really too varied to purchase site unseen in my opinion. On the bay you can look at Completed Sales to see some examples.

It can be hard to capture Buffalo horn as you can see here. It's so dark. Any natural material is going to be unique and there is nothing wrong with that. Roll the dice.

Buck110Waterbuffalo2.jpg

Buck110Waterbuffalo.jpg

Congratulations on your new son. I bought every magazine and newspaper I could find with my kids birthday. Dont forget a year of birth proof set from the US mint and lots of pictures.

Time will start to do strange stuff as you enter this phase of your life. There will be sleepless nights that seem to last an eternity. Yet the years will fly by. One minute you are carrying him like a football next minute he’s playing high school football. One minute you are strapping him into a car seat, next thing you know hes driving your car.

Don’t blink you’ll miss something. Good luck and God bless your family.

Congratulations on your new son. I bought every magazine and newspaper I could find with my kids birthday. Dont forget a year of birth proof set from the US mint and lots of pictures.

Time will start to do strange stuff as you enter this phase of your life. There will be sleepless nights that seem to last an eternity. Yet the years will fly by. One minute you are carrying him like a football next minute he’s playing high school football. One minute you are strapping him into a car seat, next thing you know hes driving your car.

Don’t blink you’ll miss something. Good luck and God bless your family.
Thank you for that. The sleepless nights have begun but every time I look at him it’s the purest joy I’ve ever felt. Nothing compares.

Congratulations on the new son! We just had our first child on Tuesday. I ordered a 119 and 110 pair in elk and polished blades for him. Here is a picture of a 110 Buffalo I ordered last year. Like the others have said it is really hard to photograph but looks really nice in person.

2DE836DA-BF3D-4ACC-A7B2-4DA78DEE1B86.jpeg

The closest thing I have to anything offered in the current 112 custom shop is this Copper and Clad variant with Nickel Silver and Indigo Blue wood. I don't know if it's the same thing as the Blue Wood offered in the custom shop.

Mine is much darker on one side. I'm using these pics with another 112 because they show the color the best among the pics that I have on hand. Bottom knife in both pics.

IMG_6001.JPGIMG_6002.JPG

Finding a pair of Elk 112's in S30V on the bay would be difficult and and expensive. I consider a Nickel silver frame and Buffalo horn 112 perhaps the best looking option available from the Custom shop now and I have yet to see a bad looking example. I would not get handle pins or finger grooves and would look hard at the engraving options to see what looks best to you. I like Bucks 'scrip' better than block letters. The website does a great job with the engraving options and is well worth the time to see what it really looks like. I personally like a few white streaks with black horn but most are jet black. Mirror polished 420 looks great with black horn but S30V is a better user. We MIGHT get a option for a drop point blade later this year but don't count on it.

Congratulations on the new son! We just had our first child on Tuesday. I ordered a 119 and 110 pair in elk and polished blades for him. Here is a picture of a 110 Buffalo I ordered last year. Like the others have said it is really hard to photograph but looks really nice in person.

View attachment 1765360
Congrats! Same day as my son, the 8th,10:10AM. I guess I’m curious if the horn is ever pitch black and looks like black plastic or if it has some type of depth to it always.

Congrats! Same day as my son, the 8th,10:10AM. I guess I’m curious if the horn is ever pitch black and looks like black plastic or if it has some type of depth to it always.
Thanks! Ours came at 11:20 pm. My example is almost pure black but you can still see a certain “depth” to the material. I don’t think anyone would confuse it for plastic. Another thing you could try is contacting Buck’s customer service and telling them what you are looking for in the material selection. I have done that with a few of my elk custom orders and they were very good at picking slabs that were what I was looking for.

Last edited:
Congratulations wonderboy1377s wonderboy1377s !

I have both the 110 and 112 Indigo from c&c they called it Indigo then switched it to just blue. I think they got complaints about color variety, Indigo being to specific.

My 110 is blue my 112 looks silvery. It would be a great knife for a boy.

view

Then cherrywood for any future daughters

view

Last edited:
You should pick a knife for a 10-12 yo. You and he will not want to wait until he's mature enough for a 112, a tool and a weapon.

Back