Knife? Type??

I'm new to this forum & knives in general....in your opinion, what type of knife should I start out with? Looking for my first purchase in knives. I recently started training in Modern Arnis & Kali(Lacoste-Inosanto). Thanks.:confused:

Verzejd,

You might want to provide a little more detail about how you are going to use the knife.

Since you posted here, I'm gonna guess that you want a fighting knife. If so you might want to ask your instructor what type of blades he prefers and what might work well with what you are learning.

Personally, I like Strider knives and the GS is my favorite fighter. I look for speed, balance, blade shape/stlye and grip. After hiting some hard targets, I find that cord warp knives offer some very good grip retention. Besides, Striders offers trainers that simulate the blade. If you are going to learn to use a fighter I think it's a good idea to get a trainer for any knife you plan to use that way.

Good luck in your search,

S.

As far as an inexpensive defensive knife goes, I think a fully serrated Spyderco Endura would be a good choice.

well i like the 800 series AFCK from BM(either the old liner locks or the new axis locks),BM 710, the emerson waved commander/CQC7's, the MT LCC, buck 880 strider model, and the custom striders/crawford KFF, and others for sure,lotsa good stuff around imho, just depemds on what ya wanna spend

imho a BM 800 from www.newgraham.com for $67.50 is a lot of knife for the $$

recently got a G10 spyderco police full serrated and its a heckuva good one too imho

sifu

Spyderco ENDURA is solid tactical folder to begin with. Reasonable price, well made, effective design, accepted on the street as common carry folder.

CS SRK is all-around decent fixed blade to start with. Get with BLADE-TEC Kydex scabbard. Priced nicely, well made, effective design, and useful for many things besides self-defense.

Try to get ENDURA trainer and trainer for SRK or in SRK pattern. Trainers are a must and were promoted / pushed by Fighting Knives years ago before the trend caught on (Thank you, James Keating & COMTECH!).

Then train. And train with focus and clear objectives. Skill carries the day regardless of the tool or weapon in hand. Luck is when Opportunity meets Preparation.

Trust this is helpful.

Back