Knife wanted ads - opinions?

Midnight Rider

Gold Member
Good day, all. I'm thinking of posting a "wanted to buy" ad for a couple of Buck knives I'm having trouble finding. I haven't explored Blade Forums much, outside of the Buck section (I don't buy other brands, I'm strictly a Buck nut). Have any of you had good/bad experiences with this? Anything I should beware of? Thanks for any input.

I'm thinking of doing it myself soonish, but for a different brand. I like Buck, but not what I am looking for.

The advice I'll give (and I could be wrong) is to only ask if you are Serious about looking for buying.
Me personally, I don't like to lead people on, nor waste their time. I'm trying to decide in my head how Much I am willing to spend on this hard to find relic? haha :/

If you are just looking to dip your toe in the water, and see what bites some might see that as Trolling? idk.

Just the opposite is true as well. Guys might have what you want, some might be generous and helpful, and some might see it as a power trip, and play you along a bit. (I haven't seen that here, but I know guys like that in real life)

-You kinda need to know how much potential drama and long list of messages (time) you want to put into it?

definitely could be exciting, and I have meet many Wonderful people here on BF, and like you are noticing some of what we want doesn't pop up much for sale..... Go for it!

I'm thinking of doing it myself soonish, but for a different brand. I like Buck, but not what I am looking for.

The advice I'll give (and I could be wrong) is to only ask if you are Serious about looking for buying.
Me personally, I don't like to lead people on, nor waste their time. I'm trying to decide in my head how Much I am willing to spend on this hard to find relic? haha :/

If you are just looking to dip your toe in the water, and see what bites some might see that as Trolling? idk.

Just the opposite is true as well. Guys might have what you want, some might be generous and helpful, and some might see it as a power trip, and play you along a bit. (I haven't seen that here, but I know guys like that in real life)

-You kinda need to know how much potential drama and long list of messages (time) you want to put into it?

definitely could be exciting, and I have meet many Wonderful people here on BF, and like you are noticing some of what we want doesn't pop up much for sale..... Go for it!
Thanks for the reply! I agree, toe dipping should be discouraged on both sides. I've bought a few knives from the Exchange on here, and had nothing but good experiences so far. Just haven't ever placed a wanted ad. When I looked through the wanted list, I didn't see many replies. I assume they are answered by PM? I'm not looking for a run-around, which is why I'm seeking opinions first. I appreciate your input.

Thanks for the reply! I agree, toe dipping should be discouraged on both sides. I've bought a few knives from the Exchange on here, and had nothing but good experiences so far. Just haven't ever placed a wanted ad. When I looked through the wanted list, I didn't see many replies. I assume they are answered by PM? I'm not looking for a run-around, which is why I'm seeking opinions first. I appreciate your input.
Don't forget to showoff your prizes when it's all said and done... hahah. Good Luck!!!!

The want to buy post will be lost to obscurity rather quickly, but posting one allows you to put a small line on your signature like the one I have. I have yet to have anyone reach out on my "want to buys" or "want to trade."
It was brought up in the past to have a seperate wtt and wtb for bucks specifically, but don't know if there's enough demand.

I've responded to a member that wanted to buy some knives.
I ended putting them on ignore after all the hoops they had me jumping thru.

I get the vetting process, as WTB ads attract scammers, but keep it simple otherwise.
I only agreed to PayPal G&S and required a signature for delivery as they were getting squirrelly.
Eventually I said sorry, not gonna happen.

Trust your instincts!

I've never gotten any responses in the wtb forum, but could be I was being too specific on rare discontinued models....

good luck, hope ya do better than I have....

oh and only use g&s if using PayPal so you have some protection. also don't post your email address publicly...thats how folks are getting scammed on the forums lately.

I see BUCK "Wanted" ads being only allowed in the exchange a big disadvantage. Easily lost over there. Why they are not allowed in our own sales forum is a mystery to me. Personally I would be more comfortable here as the players are pretty well known. As a BUCK only guy I never venture into the rest of the forum including the exchange and only a few times into tech support.

When I looked through the wanted list, I didn't see many replies. I assume they are answered by PM?
Speaking only for myself, I never reply in ads. If a registered member places an ad for something I'm willing to sell, I'll post a profile message suggesting that they include a contact email in their ad*. If they do, I'll reach out; if they don't, I don't lose any sleep over it.
WTB ads attract scammers
Keep in mind that only Gold or higher can see WTB ads. Obviously, that doesn't mean it can't happen; but there haven't been many I'm my time here (and, of those scams by Gold or higher, I don't know if WTB was involved.

DeSotoSky DeSotoSky they are not allowed in the Buck for sale forum for the same reason they aren't allowed in the other brand specific for sale forums - they aren't For Sale ads. There are different membership requirements, which would create issues. IE for sale ads can only be posted by Gold or higher; so including WTB ads in that section would exclude registered and basic members from posting. Further, all members can view for sale ads; while only Gold and higher can view WTB section; so WTBs in the for sale section would result in everybody being able to see them (and non-eligible members trying to sell)

Last edited:
I think a link to the wanted to buy ad is good... Using the signature as a wanted to buy would be a problem for the same reason as posting WTB in the For Sale section - it would be accessible to those without selling memberships

It wasn't for a buck, but I was able to land my grail knife for much less than the auction site rate by posting a WTB thread and putting the knife in my signature.

It took a while, but I wanted the knife as a user, and I was able to get a knife in great condition for about $160 when the going rate for that knife/configuration NIB was $700 (the knife was originally $120, it is rarity that makes them so expensive, not materials or anything). That was about 7 years ago, and I still carry that knife almost every day. So if you stick with it, sometimes these things can pay off.

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts/experiences. I know this isn't a major life decision 😄 but it's good to get feedback. Seems that the worst case would be I get no response. I'm ok with that

Back