Knife/Weapon Laws of Michigan and Virginia

Just wanted to see what the weapon laws in general are for these states. I tried looking them up online but just get third party websites, which let's face it, are not always the end all be all source of constantly changing state laws, or I get results for laws involving only firearms. Just to ensure I operate within the legal parameters of both these states, I would appreciate it if someone gave me specifics on which chapters of MI and VA's penal codes on weapons to look up to ensure I comply with ALL laws involving All weapons, including knives. Thank you for taking the time to read this and helping me in the right direction.

I've got you covered.

For Virginia, you want Title 18.2, Chapter 7. Weapon related laws are found under Articles 4 through 7.
Here is a link to the chapter:
https://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/

You're knife-related laws are going to be found under the following subtitles:
282.1, brandishing big (12"+) knives at people.
283, taking certain knives into religious places without cause.
308, carrying certain knives concealed.
308.1, taking knives other than <3" folders to a K-12 school.
311, prohibits the mere possession of throwing stars, switchblades and ballistic knives.

Some matters concerning certain knives are not spelled out well in the statutes, but are covered by case law. A notable example is Thompson v Commonwealth, that ruled butterfly knives are not "weapons of like kind" and therefore legal to conceal.

Michigan to come in a bit.

Michigan's weapon laws are found under Chapter 750 (the state's penal code), Chapter XXXVII. Here is a link to that chapter:
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-328-1931-XXXVII

Notable sub-sections relevant to knives are:
750.222a, grants an exception for stone knives and arrowheads.
750.226, makes it illegal to carry certain knives with unlawful intent to use against another person.
750.227, prohibits the concealed carry of certain knives.

It should be noted that section 750.226a, which banned switchblades, was repealed October 11, 2017. Most third party sites don't reflect this, and I'd wager many people in the state might not know it either.

Thank you very much. I may head out there later this year and wanted to take my collection of knives and other assorted goodies with me. As it turns out I may be good in both states for everything !

Back