Knife with leather static cord sheath

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

We have here a standard issue Mecha-style knife, forged from grade 38 titanium alloy. Check out the dagger-like distal taper, which makes this blunt nosed knife pretty stabby, but also slicey and scrapey.

The coolest part of this one is the fancy static cord type of sheath, made in leather by Ms. Oye. It really seems like a boss way to carry a knife. The sheath and knife grip are made of cow hide, deerskin, kevlar thread, and woven nylon cord, with copper tubes in the sheath.

I tried twice to make copper menuki (handle ornaments) to match the copper tubes. Both sets had a feather theme, but instead of flight feathers, they ended up looking like grilled corn dogs! :D

Making handle ornaments is not as easy as you would think, if you don't have practice and inspiration. In the future I've resolved to start casting them from molten copper and silver, because forging and grinding them isn't working, and I end up forging on my thumb anyway, hammering on something so tiny. So they were omitted this time.

Thanks for looking.

7x4WHgK.jpg

sBrfoHn.jpg

rLW1Fn2.jpg

well done ! i agree about the menuki, they are a whole different world of craftsmanship. kind of like half of a sculpture. i have been experimenting with them as well.

Menuki ?? The only sensible way is investment casting . The Japs have a good number of copper alloys with gold , silver etc.

Thanks guys. :D

Mete, that's the conclusion I've quickly come to. Cast menuki is the way to go.

Well done Sam

Static carry is the way with this style blade

You know what would be really cool, is a mini static line knife and sheath. Something with say, a 3" blade, 5" oal, AND narrow enough to warrant just one cord hole in the sheath. Stick it in your belt or waistband and go. Give it a takedown handle and a classy little handguard.

It would be the coolest thing since putting a giant Rambo knife in a tube sock and shoving it down the front of your pants.

Another great and exceptional piece...

Thanks Dawkind, you're too kind. This was one of the rare occasions when the photos probably look better than the real deal; usually it's the other way around: bad photos that don't show what the blade really looks like. I can never know exactly what someone else sees.

I keep looking at the tip and imagining what it'd feel like to get stabbed by that son of a bitch. Woowee that would suck!

Damn sweet design, though. It's an interesting profile.

I keep looking at the tip and imagining what it'd feel like to get stabbed by that son of a bitch. Woowee that would suck!

Damn sweet design, though. It's an interesting profile.

HAHA! That's hilarious. Thanks McFeeli.

If you think that's bad, just wait 'till this one is finally finished. 23.5" blade, 31.5" oal:

SFUeGYr.jpg

Oh come on! You have to share the evil plot ;)

~Chip

Nice lil cutie. I don't know if you have perused work Ford Hallam has done in the Japanese vein. He was recently doing a couple of menuki in copper and posted of it over some days on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/tsubaman/?...ver3M_-vok5d-IG1rp-kTZ7mN95aSRgRyORmxUm1OOtFI

Be forewarned that he is truly a traditionalist but the metal working is a universal skill to learn. Fascinating to see his work as it goes.

Cheers

GC

The "Following the Iron Brush" is a very interesting place for blades !!

The bamboo shoot menuki Ford finished were forged and raised, quite hollow inside and with the shell only 1mm or so thick. A lot of the period menuki were done in this manner, with the hollow filled with pitch.

Patrick Hastings another of the same ilk, training/learning in Hallam's shop but already an incredible metals artist.
http://userblogs.ganoksin.com/metalwerx/2014/07/08/patrick-hastings/
I believe he is still fairly regularly on Don Fogg's forums

Cheers

GC

The bamboo shoot menuki Ford finished were forged and raised, quite hollow inside and with the shell only 1mm or so thick. A lot of the period menuki were done in this manner, with the hollow filled with pitch.

Patrick Hastings another of the same ilk, training/learning in Hallam's shop but already an incredible metals artist.
http://userblogs.ganoksin.com/metalwerx/2014/07/08/patrick-hastings/
I believe he is still fairly regularly on Don Fogg's forums

Cheers

GC

That's great stuff Horseclover, thanks for the links.

You know what would be really cool, is a mini static line knife and sheath. Something with say, a 3" blade, 5" oal...

It would be the coolest thing since putting a giant Rambo knife in a tube sock and shoving it down the front of your pants.

Couldn't help it. :D Micro Mecha knives with mini static cord sheath:

VKxohAA.jpg

Very cool.....Good job

Thanks. The brass tubes in the sheath are gutted .22 bullet casings. Ask me how it feels to have a .22 without the lead tip go off in your fingers, cause now I know, hehe.

Geezo, I'm all for using what's at hand but garss tube is cheap enough at a hobby shop.

Cheers

GC

Back