Knifetests.com Project 1 Destruction Test.

I think Noss should do the same tests again to the replacement provided to him. He has been criticized for a lack of consistency in his testing methods -- it would be interesting to see if the replacement breaks in a similar fashion i.e. similar stress at the serration by the handle. Then again if it passed his tests with flying colors it could spark some further and very entertaining debate... Of course its easy for me to ask him to trash another very expensive knife :)

The replacement knife was traded for the Project 1.

Ooops. I missed that point :) Maybe they will replace your Project 1 in the same spirit. I think your tests are great.

I want noss to test a Nkonka in 3v. I have one signe by Chris they are a limited run but 3V is tuff stuff and I would like to see how it fairs over the Project 1. It also does not have serrations which would take them out of the equation. Unfortunatley there are not many.

It will be a pretty interesting. First, noss nevesr tested knife in 3v, second this should be the toughest CR knife. If the 3v fails as easy as the other 2 I suspect
a major sh#t storm will be on the horizon.

If Nkonka gets tested my bet is it'll break like the others. It doesn't have serrations but it does have a little dip right before the edge. I'm sure that is the spot where the break will occur.

I just watched one of his latest video's where he test the Cheaper Than Dirt "Rough use Knife". Funniest thing is, , IT SURVIVES MOST (90%) OF THE TEST! And it only cost $9.99. ,,,VWB.

Thank you for the tests. You showed me something (CR P1 of course) I did not expect and probably would never find out by myself.

Last edited:
Hey, Runsalone, watch the test with the Ranger. It took all of the mallet pounding and then some. It then stood up to the concrete block and didn't break until Noss stood on it ... in the second position. The whole idea is to test the ultimate strength of the blade and the Chris Reeve Project just didn't make the grade.

Thank you for the tests.

+1

I would like to see one of Crusader Forge's knives on the torture block. They advertise a hard-use knife and the maker is supposedly quite adept at heat treating CPM S30V steel.

I've got one coming soon, but I'm not real sure I want to see it destroyed.:D

What's wrong with hammering a knife into a cinder block? The whole point is "destruction testing"... your not gonna get that by cutting butter!:D

I think noss provides a great service, aren't you curious to see what your favorite knife can take, without "destroying" it yourself?

I agree with bladefan on this.
I wouldn't buy a house or a used car without getting it inspected first and likewise,
when I put out my money to purchase a knife, I'm very interested in knowing what it's limits are.
In that regard, I kind of think of Noss as a knife inspector.

After watching the tests on the Fallkniven A1 and the Scrapper 6, I felt confident in the capabilities of
both knives, and when the opportunities arose to purchase one of each I didn't hesitate in doing so.

I really doubt that I will ever abuse the knives in the manner of the tests that Noss performed, but I like
knowing that I can depend on the knives enough to push them if I have to, and not worry about them letting me down.

If these knives are file hard all the way through then they would be brittle regardless of the steel. I have had knives made of 1095 and the spind was always "softened" so that only the edge was of a high RC.

Anyone know if CRK knives are differentially hardened?

They're not---A2 is an air hardening steel, would be extremely difficult to do a differential HT unless you did it with a torch. Even then, I don't know how well it'd turn out. Keep in mind that many of the blades that did better (including the Busse and Scrap Yard which did best) are fully hard.

A knife is a knife. Not a machete, not a chisel, not a wedge.

Any one who buys a knife to do the job of a hatchet, machete, log splitter, or crowbar is obviously incapable of selecting the proper tools for their task.

Noss tests how many tests it takes to destroy a knife. Noss doesn't test usefulness.

Chris Reeve knives are used and abused by real Green Berets every day without complaint. One I know in particular raves about the edge retention properties of the A2 steel after multiple tours of combat. And to me that says a lot more about a knife being a useful tool than how long it takes to intentionally break it.

But we can conclude that tougher steels last longer than more brittle steels.

Jimro

They're not---A2 is an air hardening steel, would be extremely difficult to do a differential HT unless you did it with a torch. Even then, I don't know how well it'd turn out. Keep in mind that many of the blades that did better (including the Busse and Scrap Yard which did best) are fully hard.

Has he tested any forged knives?

A knife is a knife. Not a machete, not a chisel, not a wedge.

Any one who buys a knife to do the job of a hatchet, machete, log splitter, or crowbar is obviously incapable of selecting the proper tools for their task.

As is, apparently, anyone who selects anything other than a mora, because if all knives are meant to be used in exactly the same way, as you seem to imply, then there is ABSOLUTELY no use for heavy or large fixed blades, since their smaller, thinner counterparts will out-cut them every single time.

As to the use of a Green Beret and his/their praise of the CRK knives---again, this is only a durability test, not an indictment of the knife for all types of use. Edge retention is a factor in knife performance, it is not the only factor. And, I really hate to burst your bubble, but the fact that "a badass uses it" doesn't mean that said badass is any more qualified to rate it than the kid who delivers your newspapers. There is not ONE aspect of the training of combat arms personnel that covers materials analysis or product testing. They rely on laboratories for that kind of study, and those laboratories are far more concerned with the performance of the current body armor, boots, and bullets than knives. Not saying that a soldier doesn't need a good knife, just that being a soldier doesn't mean he knows what a good knife is. Want to know what the best selling knife was at the Clothing Sales store in Fort Hood right before the first major deployments to Iraq were taking place?
The Fury Tactical! Folding Bolo ...and no, I'm not putting that exclamation point in the wrong place. Let me see if I remember the specs:
"Genuine stainless steel blade! Unique one-hand opening! Blade locks in the open position!!!"

Yep. $5.95 on sale and they were FLYING off the shelf. My favorite feature was the saw...the saw on the back of the blade...the back of the blade that was not covered when the knife was closed. I'm sure those nylon belt sheaths survived two or three insertions of the knife before they started coming apart. ;)

Soldiers deserve respect, no question. I was a soldier, and I respect other soldiers, no question. Being a soldier does not make you an expert on anything to do with knives. Now, it's entirely possible to be a soldier who is fantastically knowledgeable about knives--but his cadre didn't teach it to him.

And for the record--I think the one piece line from CRK are good knives. Again, toughness is not the only determinant of knife performance, merely the only determinant being examined here. In that area, neither of the Reeve knives have faired that well.

Last edited:
t1mpani, thanks for saying the things I don't bother to type up. (I couldn't put it into words that well, either) :thumbup:

Except I'm not sure about the Mora part- those things are hulking sharpened prybars compared to real cutting knives. :D

Back