Knifetests.com-whats YOUR opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think these tests are a waste of money, but it does give you a good benchmark. You want a survival knife that can take some abuse, don't you?
On the other hand, he does abuse some other knives. Like a cheapo Mora. You're never going to take that as a abuse knife (a hard working knife isn't the same as abuse), so that's just a waste of a perfectly good (though cheap) knife.

I think these tests are a waste of money, but it does give you a good benchmark. You want a survival knife that can take some abuse, don't you?
On the other hand, he does abuse some other knives. Like a cheapo Mora. You're never going to take that as a abuse knife (a hard working knife isn't the same as abuse), so that's just a waste of a perfectly good (though cheap) knife.

Strange how people fail to research before making a comment. Beat it through concrete and it will fail, so it is a piece of junk?

The Mora is the foremost survival knife in use. A version of the one tested was one of the Official Nato survival knives.

http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/Survival_Knives.htm

It is the most common second knife wilderness campers and travellers carry. Cheap great, but it has repeatedly proven itself in the field.

The G81 passed the Nozz test, my experience with these are that they are tough, ok for light chopping casual throwing but extremely limited in use in the field or camp and was generally left with the rest of my collection. Gave it to a friend suffering from humour failure when his cheap Rambo styled survival knife with all bells and whistles failed a little bit of garden trimming.

Strange how people fail to research before making a comment. Beat it through concrete and it will fail, so it is a piece of junk?

The Mora is the foremost survival knife in use. A version of the one tested was one of the Official Nato survival knives.

http://www.grannysstore.com/Wilderness_Survival/Survival_Knives.htm

It is the most common second knife wilderness campers and travellers carry. Cheap great, but it has repeatedly proven itself in the field.

Yeah, okay, Mora is a wrong example. Of course breaking something on concrete is useless, and not an indication for something at all. That's not what I was implying either. But what if it doesn't break? I've seen some knifes like the Izula that DON'T break if you whack it at concrete. I think that says a lot.

Yeah, okay, Mora is a wrong example. Of course breaking something on concrete is useless, and not an indication for something at all. That's not what I was implying either. But what if it doesn't break? I've seen some knifes like the Izula that DON'T break if you whack it at concrete. I think that says a lot.

Survival Knife is the one you have on you when the poo hits the fan. Most of the crisies on the news of people dying in the wilderness deals with the Darwin syndrome. The best knife most often would not have helped these ijats but a whole lot of preparation would have. Most large knives cannot be used to repair cars whereas the humble SAK is a major friend when in need.

Nozz proponents tend to use the survival angle to justify their argument. Lifts, walls etc. The Mora and SAK would thus be huge failures. Opening a lift, take SAK remove door panel on the mechanism over the door, open door. Absolute familiarity with your knife is also necessary, buying and storing is not a good practice.

Survival Knife is the one you have on you when the poo hits the fan. Most of the crisies on the news of people dying in the wilderness deals with the Darwin syndrome. The best knife most often would not have helped these ijats but a whole lot of preparation would have. Most large knives cannot be used to repair cars whereas the humble SAK is a major friend when in need.

Nozz proponents tend to use the survival angle to justify their argument. Lifts, walls etc. The Mora and SAK would thus be huge failures. Opening a lift, take SAK remove door panel on the mechanism over the door, open door. Absolute familiarity with your knife is also necessary, buying and storing is not a good practice.

These tests certainly have their values but cannot be used as the only judge of a knife.

I think I'd go with both knives though. Just a fairly big one and a SAK. Maybe the Fallkniven A1.

That is subjective, non-scientific review and is not in the humorous league of Statler and Waldorf.

Kind of like The Great Hockey Mask's stuff, but I'd put him more in the class of Fozzy the Bear. Pure shtick.

The Guyon suggested such and failed to start - a lack of action that is the norm.

Is that right? I thought I invited folks to post in a certain thread in W&C. No one in this thread had the cojones to do so.

This is a smart post, and it speaks to the way in which knife reviews conducted out of context can provide a false sense of competency--especially reviews purportedly aimed at determining some measure of toughness. I've seen where Nozz does some outdoor chopping tests, but certainly not with every knife. The more common M.O. involves taking a knife straight to destruction trials. Some of his advocates come across as folks who buy "tough knives" with the idea that the blades will miraculously save them in an emergency. Countless precedents have shown, however, that survival is more about the skills and mettle between the ears than the technologies in hand.

This is a smart post, and it speaks to the way in which knife reviews conducted out of context can provide a false sense of competency--especially reviews purportedly aimed at determining some measure of toughness. I've seen where Nozz does some outdoor chopping tests, but certainly not with every knife. The more common M.O. involves taking a knife straight to destruction trials. Some of his advocates come across as folks who buy "tough knives" with the idea that the blades will miraculously save them in an emergency. Countless precedents have shown, however, that survival is more about the skills and mettle between the ears than the technologies in hand.

You have to know how to use the knife for it to have any chance to do you any good in a bad situation. :thumbup:

Personally I like tough knives, that's why I love my Busses, but I also have some Cold Steel and HI blades. :D

Personally I like tough knives, that's why I love my Busses, but I also have some Cold Steel and HI blades. :D

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of good tools, knives or otherwise. However, to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to knives, I rely on a variety of accounts from people who actually use them instead of the hammer-pounding frenzies of the Nozzinator.

Last word - a severe lack of quality control on making cement blocks kinda leaves us with the ability to drive a 2H pencil through the worse ones. They kinda work but we don't have earthquakes like Haiti.

I don't have the opportunity to obtain many knives, Busse and Falkeniven are out, but my pickup has decent survival kit and when travelling the appropriate variations. Always a SAK in my pocket, a multitool in the car door pocket, a Mora in the glovebox. I was fortunate to do an extended survival course in Scouts, I have a current 1st aid cert and over the years have had to help out. It has meant that have never allowed for a bad situation to go into critical, but my kit has helped others who have.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of good tools, knives or otherwise. However, to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to knives, I rely on a variety of accounts from people who actually use them instead of the hammer-pounding frenzies of the Nozzinator.

Noss really does use his knives, his main field blades are the CGFBM and NMFBM. :D

I have another video that I am uploading now, short little field video using the Tank Buster.

Getting a lot of requests to make more. :D :thumbup:

Is that right? I thought I invited folks to post in a certain thread in W&C. No one in this thread had the cojones to do so.

I don't recall the Guyon's invite to a specific post. Where? What post was a specific W&C thread noted by the Guyon? Perhaps those blackouts discussed earlier by the Guyon are affecting the memory of the Guyon.

I don't recall the Guyon's invite to a specific post. Where? What post was a specific W&C thread noted by the Guyon? Perhaps those blackouts discussed earlier by the Guyon are affecting the memory of the Guyon.

Have fun reading this thread. It's there. Perhaps orthogonal1 should slow down. I hear hookers and fast cars will wear a man down after a while.

Have fun reading this thread. It's there. Perhaps orthogonal1 should slow down. I hear hookers and fast cars will wear a man down after a while.

No quote from the post mentioning a specific W&C post? Didn't think so.

I hear the gallery is mighty friendly to people who blackout and can't do anything themselves. Comfy chairs.

No quote from the post mentioning a specific W&C post? Didn't think so.

Sorry your search skills are so poor. Perhaps if you actually supported the site, you'd be able to use the BFC search.

What? No "Still waiting for the wonderful reviews of the Guyon using the scientific methods the Guyon has devised."?

You sorely disappoint. :p

What? No "Still waiting for the wonderful reviews of the Guyon using the scientific methods the Guyon has devised."?

You sorely disappoint. :p

Waiting for the wonderful reviews of the Guyon using the scientific methods the Guyon has devised is akin to waiting for a dead dog to go fetch a thrown stick - neither will show the action required due to inability.

No mention of a hooker? The Guyon sorely disappoints. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back