Knives Annual...

Matthew Gregory

Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment
It occurred to me last week that I didn’t get my usual ‘submit your photos’ letter from the folks at “Knives Annual” publications (normally comes in October, I think), so I sent an email to Joe Kertzman (the editor) to see if I was too late. He replied that the publishers aren’t going to pursue it this year, and he believes it is likely permanently being put to rest. He stated that a major part of the decision for the publishing company was that there wasn’t anyone left that could usher it through to production, design and to the printer.

Thought I’d give you guys the heads up. Tragic, really. The end of an era. There were a lot of incredibly inspiring blades in those books. Ran for 38 years. Alas!

Really wasn’t sure where else this should go, so I’m posting it here. Lorien, if this needs to be elsewhere, let me know.

That is a real shame. It was a great dream book for sure. I had a complete collection from the beginning at one time. They were fun, informative and entertaining.

I have a collection also, internet has taken over, why buy the book when so many pictures there, same with knife making books, we older makers remember very few books, no video's no you tube, now all info is on the net! Yes Shame!

I'm more than sad. :(

The Annual has been a source of information BEYOND what is available on the internet for many years.

My clients have always gotten a special feeling when one of their pieces has been displayed/admired in this PRINT publication, and I spent a lot of time ensuring that their images would be included to the editors.

Sigh. It points to the larger current importance of having an INTERNET presence. If you don't, you are sunk.

I have EVERY Annual from 1983 to 2018. I search through the early ones often trying to identify makers and offer contact info. At least they remain.

Matt: Thanks for the heads up. I have sent a note to the principals for confirmation.

Yes, it's a sad thing. It was a way for us to get lasting exposure. The magazines are usually thrown away. Internet exposure is so fleeting. On the other hand people save the Annuals for years, referring back to them often. If you were in the annual it was a lasting presence. I haven't even made my best knives yet, they will never be in there.

Now we will have to depend on Knifegallery.com

Bummer. I picked up a copy of Knives 91 right before the big Guild Show ate the Orlando Marriott. That show and that book are what introduced me to the knife world beyond the Gerbers, Randalls,Bagwells and Morans that I had been reading about and lusting over since the late 70/early 80''s and the early "specialty" cutlery like SOG, Al Mar, early Benchmade, etc that I had been buying since the late 80's. That show and that book are what got me hooked on forged blades. I have every edition since 2000 and managed to pick up a couple of old copies from '93 and '97 at House of Blades in Ft. Worth a number of years back. Guess I had better pick up my copy of the 2018 edition before the are gone. :(

I'm more than sad. :(

The Annual has been a source of information BEYOND what is available on the internet for many years.

My clients have always gotten a special feeling when one of their pieces has been displayed/admired in this PRINT publication, and I spent a lot of time ensuring that their images would be included to the editors.

Sigh. It points to the larger current importance of having an INTERNET presence. If you don't, you are sunk.

I have EVERY Annual from 1983 to 2018. I search through the early ones often trying to identify makers and offer contact info. At least they remain.

Matt: Thanks for the heads up. I have sent a note to the principals for confirmation.

Agreed with all of that.

Mark Knapp said "Now we will have to depend on Knifegallery.com"

Coop's action with knifegallery.com was very timely to say the least, almost prophetic.

I did notice that for the last couple of years there seemed to be increased effort for sales of the annual with observable poor results compared to previous years. I think internet access is/was a major player in that. Any way three cheers for Coop!

Paul

Last edited:
What with FW Media cutting positions and Joe moving on before all the cuts, I am not too surprised. It's a loss for the industry.

On the other hand, it generates a vacancy in the print world. Who will fill it?

I look forward to getting my copy every fall!
Truly unfortunate, but not surprised. Does anyone
have any info in regard to sales trends for
the book over the last 5-6 years?

Sad news. For an aspiring maker like myself, I always looked forward to thumbing through those pages for inspiration. So much valuable information in there as well. This past issue was the first time I had the courage to enter a few knives for consideration. Luckily, I was able to get one in print. I was looking forward to next year's issue and hopefully making a better showing. I should've known things were going downhill at FW Media because my submission process was totally botched on their end. I won't bore anyone with the details but it was pretty disappointing. Too bad about the demise of the annual because they were a way for up and coming makers to get some decent exposure. Surfing the internet is fine and dandy but there is something special about books.

I stopped purchasing it about three years ago. Joe Kertzman was NO Ken Warner, and will leave it at that.

2014 was the last edition in my collection. Since Matt's information is sure to be highly accurate, I ordered the last 3 to finish out the collection, as to do otherwise is unthinkable.....lack of purchase of the printed volumes was a STATEMENT of lack of interest, not ACTUAL lack of interest, make sense?

That said, DO have first year of 1981 continuous through that last edition, and sure thought Ken Warner did a great job!

Am I disappointed? Yes. Am I surprised? No. Much thanks for the heads up, brother! Almost makes up for the Puggy.

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

Last edited:
Shocking! I remember getting the first one from my dad in 1981 or 82.

So what's next, Blade magazine gets cut?

Well, their attempt at running a forum failed and Fighting Knives closed up shop.

Don, here's exactly what Joe Kertzman said to me. Hopefully this will offer some clarity, although I have my own thoughts on this stuff...

Not many people know yet, but the publishing industry, of course, has taken a major hit over the past decade or more, and F+W Media/Krause Publications was no different. BLADE Magazine is in good shape, and makes a tidy profit and has a good, solid readership. The KNIVES Annual had the same going for it, but there simply isn't anyone left at the publishing company who can usher it through to production, design and to the printer. I had an editor there who was pitching it hot and heavy to his bosses, but was getting no reply. It made good money and had good readership, but it's more a matter of what projects can the remaining editors/publishers handle and what can't they.

Don, here's exactly what Joe Kertzman said to me. Hopefully this will offer some clarity, although I have my own thoughts on this stuff...

Not many people know yet, but the publishing industry, of course, has taken a major hit over the past decade or more, and F+W Media/Krause Publications was no different. BLADE Magazine is in good shape, and makes a tidy profit and has a good, solid readership. The KNIVES Annual had the same going for it, but there simply isn't anyone left at the publishing company who can usher it through to production, design and to the printer. I had an editor there who was pitching it hot and heavy to his bosses, but was getting no reply. It made good money and had good readership, but it's more a matter of what projects can the remaining editors/publishers handle and what can't they.
Thanks for that Matt! So is Kertzman leaving?

Back