Knives necessary in the outdoors?

I doubt that I'll ever try Rick's wife's cooking, which I'm sure is excellent. Does that mean I have to go flameless in the bush, never able to use your new magic technique?

It is excellent. Rick's lovely wife cooking me dinner was payment to me for teaching him everything he knows.

;)

It is excellent. Rick's lovely wife cooking me dinner was payment to me for teaching him everything he knows.

;)

Funny, that wasn't the way Rick told the story. Of course, I could be wrong, but the way I heard, it had something to do with pity.:D

Or maybe that was someone else.:D

Funny, that wasn't the way Rick told the story. Of course, I could be wrong, but the way I heard, it had something to do with pity.:D

Or maybe that was someone else.:D

Yeah well, it's my lie, I will tell it the way I want to:grumpy:

Did I say lie, I mean story.

:D

Last edited:
i apologize if this has been answered and i missed it, brother -

Hi PR, thanks for the response and the specific examples. I think specificity is important in deciding whether a risk is likely or unlikely.

1.) Esbit tabs, so no fuel tank to puncture.
2.) If my girlfriend and family didn't realise that I was missing, I think I'd seriously have to reconsider the relationships in my life :p
3.) In Australia, we are taught to use a pressure bandage, not cut and suck, and we have some fairly serious nasties out here!

my friend, the late David Alloway, a noted survival-trip trekker in Austrailan and American Deserts and an author, spoke about this subject in depth.

Austrailans are taught that method because it is more likely that you will be bitten by a snake (there in Australia) by a venomous neuro-toxic snake, whose neuro-toxin spreads through the Lymphatic System, which Pressure Bandages are designed to manage, and hopefully; prevent.

cutting is not usually taught formally anymore in the USA, due largely because untrained people do it incorrectly, not because it is necessarily ineffective, regrettably. successful cutting and venom extractrion is also only prescribed for hemo-toxic venom-bearing snakes, where your pressure bandaging could cause a loss of a limb, or major surgery, because of localizing the hemo-toxin - where the simple act of lowering the limb (most common bite sites) beneath the victim's heart would be more effective (arguably).

so, as you alluded to; specificity is key here, not just with the choice of carrying a blade or not while backpacking. :D

here in Sothern California, we have added fun in snakebite management because soome of our rattlers are neurotoxic as well as hemo-toxic.

proper identification of the species is helpful, otherwise, unnecessary complications may arise as one defaults to the pressure bandage treatment for the neurotoxin that might be present unnecessarily, which will concentrate the hemo-toxin for greater localized destruction (and possible amputation or multiple surgeries later) to tissue.

a knife is kinda nice to make a nice pressure dressing out of a T-shirt anyways, vice carrying the bandage along as extra snivel gear and added weight to your ruck...:cool::thumbup:

while just backpacking.

HTH.

vec

Vec... I get the feeling you actually read the OP! :)

Thanks for the info regarding neuro and hemo toxic bites. I hadn't heard these terms before but had been curious why snake bite info in Canada seemed to be different to Oz.

We've got some talented cookies on this board who could obviously survive/ thrive with next to nothing. I'd love to see some more tutorials or how-to posts regarding these skills. I still visit this board because I don't yet know it all.

Still can't believe this thread hit 11 pages....

Ditto - I had only vaguely heard of the difference in poisons before! I'd rather get bitten by an Australian snake as I am comfortable that I know what to do. ... Stop sit down wait

BEEF - Sak for me when trail hiking out to through Mt Solitary and the old Paddy Pallin tracks (or now lack there of) on the Jenolan caves river. My old hinking grounds before I moved south.

I now have a lot more choice and would still do the same. Even my friends who go into Tasmania's south west wilderness and get food drops by plane are pretty much all SAK people. They also carry a beacon (subistitute for a bigger knife??). They are well equipped and very expereinced.

And you probably remember that our ex state treasurer got lost, when fell off a trail in the high country, and was rescued less only one item of equipment - his SAK

Also here in Oz the bush is different - there is usually a plentiful supply of firewood available in all sizes. So a solid fuel (esbit ) tab will happily get you going. In summary no need to batton or chop to make firewood. Anyway many parks ban fires and require the use of stoves - a shame as a camp fire is a wonderful thing!

But that is hiking, if it was for survival - Fallkniven F1 (and a SAK)

Last edited:
This discussion has as many answers as there are people that hike. I don't see a reason to not carry a pistol or rifle on a hike either. It's all choice vs. probability vs. certainty.

Most hiking trips I just cut stuff for fun, no real need for a knife, but why on Earth would I not bring a few ounces of steel as insurance?

Same can be said for Bics or most any other piece of gear.

Hi Davyd,
you're right, there is an abundance of firewood here and it's certainly no fun hiking when there's a fireban on. Normally too hot for much hiking at that time anyway.
We're doing a walk soon along the Kowmung river. You done any trips in that area?

In regard to the OP's question.

I have done alot of long distance backpacking and all I needed was a good SAK, it has a saw and scissors that are extra
I also carried an Opiel or Bucklite as a fixed blade for my extra security of having a strong knife.
The two were only ounces in weight.

The question is how much emegency gear you are prepared to carry?
And you need to ask what might go wrong?

A knife is too useful not to have because of the what ifs
And these senarios are not outlandish

Stuck in a cold weather snap, you need a fire - feather the wood to start the fire with your knife
Build a leanto to catch the heat from the fire and cover it with your tarp -Use your knife to cut wood
Build a sunshade and cover it with your tarp/poncho
Twisted your ankle and need to make a crutch - Where is your knife?
Equipment breaks - Use the awl and some cable ties
Blisters or deep cuts needs - Scissors for bandages or moleskin
A torn nail - Scissors

A knife can help you meet the what ifs

Yeah well, it's my lie, I will tell it the way I want to:grumpy:

Did I say lie, I mean story.

Well, of course it's your story, and if that's the way you want to tell it, then, by gum, that's the way it was. Never doubted it for a second.:D

Truth be told, I don't think Rick ever said anything about it; I was just being cantankerous.;)

... I was just being cantankerous.;)

They have medicated creams for that, you know.:p

As for Tony's comment...

All my friends seem to like my wife's cooking.... I guess there is nothing like a home cooked meal, right?

sexy-chef_552x368.jpg

As for Tony's comment...

All my friends seem to like my wife's cooking.... I guess there is nothing like a home cooked meal, right?

sexy-chef_552x368.jpg

I'll bet you didn't even think I could spell can... can... that word this early in the morning.

The medicated creams didn't work; they just turned me into a surly old curmudgeon.:D

Now, if I had a cook like that, I'd eat a lot more than I do now.:D

Hi Davyd,
you're right, there is an abundance of firewood here and it's certainly no fun hiking when there's a fireban on. Normally too hot for much hiking at that time anyway.
We're doing a walk soon along the Kowmung river. You done any trips in that area?

Beef, if I was to come to your neck of the woods and do some hiking, would you recommend me to bring a knife with me? Also, what kind of knife would you recommend to a foreigner coming for some nice few days tourist hiking?

Is this enough knife? :D

Attachments

• JK knives 357up.jpg
    JK knives 357up.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 19
  • JK knives 358ty.jpg
    JK knives 358ty.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 13

As for Tony's comment...

sexy-chef_552x368.jpg

Ha, Rick's toaster doesn't even look like that one!!!! This must mean his wife doesn't really cook:D

JK made a series of these fire kits, It has a pocket sheath but he made a sheath with a Belt/pocket clip as well.

Back