Knock-Off, Counterfeit, Fake Bucks & The Americans Who Sell Them

Thanks for doing this. I still email auction site sellers and let them know they are selling cheap china copies of bucks and about all the harm they do. I am hoping the rest of you are also. Semper Fi

The 110 auto clone counterfit knives are getting harder for the casual buyer to tell from the real thing.
These knives are selling in the low $40's shipping included directly to USA from China.
They are openly sold on the well known counterfit website Aliexpress.com.
They are doing a better job with the tang stamps, sheath and box.
(photo by internet counterfit seller)

_574_zpsck4y0yde.jpg

We maybe having some success reporting these fakes. I reported several more on the big auction site tonight but could not find any 110's to report. Sort of miss doing it:) But the 110 auto are showing up on a gun broker site(hint hint) and I reported the three I found to the sellers. So far only one has replied and simply said. "Well, don't buy it" Can't find where that site allows you to report counterfeits but am trying to post in their GENERAL DISCUSSIONS forum to warn buyers, but having problems and have opened up a ticket to resolve.
I hope everyone else is continuing to report these fakes.

The tide has turned thanks to aggressive actions taken by Buck Knives, Inc. to defeat fakes coming into this country. Congratulations to those responsible at Buck. You know who you are. Bravo.

See for yourself. Simply search "Buck knife" on ebay see how many fakes you plow up. A year ago you would get a majority and now they are rare. Fewer than one fake in 200 items lately.

Hopefully this thread will quickly become vestigial.

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I think I am the victim of a 'fake' Bucklite Max Large. The one I bought looked strange. Couldn't put my finger on it. Then realized the word 'Buck' was not on either side of the blade like they are on Buck's website. Could it be factory second? Apparently Buck does not do that? Everything looks 'legit' except the missing Buck name on the blade. 'And' the fact that I bought it from one of those overstock stores that had quite a few Buck knives for sale.

Hello everyone. New to the forum. I think I am the victim of a 'fake' Bucklite Max Large. The one I bought looked strange. Couldn't put my finger on it. Then realized the word 'Buck' was not on either side of the blade like they are on Buck's website. Could it be factory second? Apparently Buck does not do that? Everything looks 'legit' except the missing Buck name on the blade. 'And' the fact that I bought it from one of those overstock stores that had quite a few Buck knives for sale.

A clear photo of your knife and the box (showing factory label) it came in would be helpful. Could you email a link to your vendor just click on my avatar to get my email, thank you. It is my understanding, IMHO, that factory seconds (AKA Blems) are so marked on their box and are ONLY sold by Buck at their factory in Post Falls, Idaho to individuals who attend the sale in person. I have never seen a blem sold by anyone other than an individual, after it was first purchased by an individual at the factory sale first.

Does your knife look like this fixed blade Bucklite Max Large, except without the word BUCK on the blade (this item advertised by the major overstock USA vendor today)?

Could this be what your knife looks like, did you receive yours in a box, if so can you provide a photo of the factory label on your box, thank you (this item was advertised where far east counterfeiters can be found today) Strangely newby, the part of the blade that would normally show the word "BUCK" has been hidden by some sort of trickery/fog visible once I blew up the online picture from the advertisement. What can you tell me about this?:

This photo courtesy of a .com with the name associated with the huge river in S. America, also has the partial foggy blade:

If it does indeed turn out that you did purchase a fake from your vendor you might consider returning your item for a refund and report your experience over in the Good, Bad & Ugly forum in order to inform other members so they can have their eyes opened (to be fore warned is to be fore armed) and reinforce the value of approved, valued and beloved dealers.

There are fakes lurking out there that have not come up yet. The Buck Camp Axe for example. And, yes, nothing is sacred...

Last edited:
Hey Oregon! yes the one I bought looks like the last 2 photos. It did not come in a box. In a plastic liner type- of -thing with very legit looking Buck stuff and the stars and stripes flying in the corner of the package. the 679 number is 2 different places in those 2 photos. The one I bought is like the the knife set against the wood chunks.

OK, no box, but did it come with the warranty card and words from the Buck family on the card's reverse?

Exactly who is the seller? Tell me in code or email me (click on my avatar to get my email).

Everybody wants to see photos of the knife, packaging, paperwork. Details tell the tale. If you want a determination of whether or not you purchased a fake then photos of the knife, sheath, packaging and paperwork are necessary for me.

Last edited:
Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, I've got a buck 110 fh (no fg) and it's a 50th anniversary , but the problem is, it has the anvil with a 50 in it, it says Buck USA, but has no shield in the handle.. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance

Sorry if this question doesn't belong here, I've got a buck 110 fh (no fg) and it's a 50th anniversary , but the problem is, it has the anvil with a 50 in it, it says Buck USA, but has no shield in the handle.. Is it normal?

Thanks in advance

Congratulations you have a low production number variant. Enjoy your Buck knife. Happy New Year.

What are the most commonly counterfeited Buck knife models ?

I search the world most days looking for at least 1,000 new to me Buck knives via the popular auction site. Today I accomplished that search and found one fake. Only one. a year ago I would have found so many that I would have narrowed my search to US only and still found close to 50% fake/counterfeit/knockoffs. Looks like you missed it (counterfeitagedon). The one today:

Last edited:
I just ordered this 112 from [vendor removed] and a couple things seemed very un-Buck-like...

First off, the tag line on the box is different, it's not the measure of a knife one;
7407d8e69a50a664937dfeb43298db9d_zpsp95woouk.jpg

The ink on the label at the end seems slightly blurry;
0d43eb01baa6ea926330dd77ebf432b8_zpslvlaa2fx.jpg

The knife itself was packed in the foam envelope and the sheath had the message paper stuck to the made in Mexico sheath tag.

As far as the knife itself, it was extremely gritty upon opening and closing, there was polishing compound left at the pivot (I know this is normal) , but the back of the knife near the lock bar spring was packed with beige "sand" for lack of a better description, it looked like the knife had been dropped in some beach sand and shaken out

Didn't think to get photos of that, I cleaned it up with a liberal application of ballistol, but the two last discrepancies are the tang stamp font appears smaller than the 110, and the nail nick is ground mostly into the hollow ground portion of the blade, missing the spine
96514fb9ca861987c5daa4e62700c4f3_zpsvtlmtmjp.jpg

d47cee404ef93128ec6519ecde06d64f_zpsanprtbro.jpg

Also, the blade had a very poor, dull edge on it, clearly the "sand" in the handle had dulled the edge, if this is an authentic 112, it would have greatly disappointed me if this was my first Buck, my 110 came out of the box perfect, so I know this was an anomaly, probably the last knife off the line on a Friday....

The edge was quickly fixed with my WorkSharp and Sharpmaker combo

Please tell me this isn't a counterfeit and something that merely snuck past QC?

Last edited:
Please consider removing vendor's name because they not a site sponsor. Thank you.

Looks like a Buck on all fronts. Return it to vendor if unhappy. Vendor is not an authorized Buck dealer.

As long as it's not a counterfeit, I'm good, all the listed "problems" are easily fixed, and since these knives are all hand made, there are going to be minor differences from knife to knife, it's that little human touch making each unique

I don't think that I've ever bot a new knife without fussing/fiddling if for no other reason to inspect and become familiar with it. Some collectors will order 6, keep the 2 best ones, and return the other 4 as their standard operating procedure. Tough to do if the model is scarce. If it is to be a user and I am going to bet my life or someone else's life on it I will go over it with a loupe, test it, sharpen if needed, clean and lube and probably micro seal to stop aging. And then practice its intended uses under various conditions. Chance favors the prepared I've read.

Back