Photos Knot in axe handle?

I got my first axe today, but there is what appears to be the starting of a knot right under the head.
Though it looks minimal, I am wondering if this is acceptable or not?
GVAsGkE.jpeg
tzz8H40.jpeg

The handle has grain run-out. It means that the handle is prone to split in that location if/when it breaks or splits. For what it’s worth, put an over strike guard and on and use it till it breaks. Try not to commit overstrikes with your new buddy. Hope that helps.

Btw,
That is about normal for some axe manufacturers today. Is it acceptable, nah. Is it normal, lots of times.

today i just broke one axe haft on a 3,1/2 phantom bevelled head. i am responsable for that!
i made the billet and then the hafts. some time back another one from the same batch broke right under the eye. just the same with no apparent ,obvious flaw. it was something in the wood eyes can't see . or bad drying , what else what ever...
the flaw of yours is obvious but maybe not so serious. i guess this is more a run out than a real knot as i think the knot has been removed.
is your axe a gb?

today i just broke one axe haft on a 3,1/2 phantom bevelled head. i am responsable for that!
i made the billet and then the hafts. some time back another one from the same batch broke right under the eye. just the same with no apparent ,obvious flaw. it was something in the wood eyes can't see . or bad drying , what else what ever...
the flaw of yours is obvious but maybe not so serious. i guess this is more a run out than a real knot as i think the knot has been removed.
is your axe a gb?
Yeah, Gransfors Bruk small forest axe. I dont want to, but does it justify a return?

Not a knot, just grain runout. Whether or not it will be significant depends on how many rings of continuous growth you have running end-to-end on the handle. It's pretty common to see at least a little runout in the grain like that just due to the contours of the wood.

IMG_20240211_181307722.jpg
My sfa has a bit too, at least I think that's what it is.

I've used it camping, trapping, and next to the splitter since 2006ish... Use that bad boy, it's a fine tool.

Back