Knots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Knots have fascinated me lately, I've made a lot of lanyards that use Diamond knots, Wide Diamond knots and snake knots as well as a whipping knot to keep the lanyard in place.

But recently learned of a knot called a Reever Bend. This is the type of knot used to tie two ends of cordage together, either to end up with a loop or just to extend a length of cord. I've used it to make a loop to hang a bird feeder so it can be hung on a hook, using that knot made it much neater and also very strong.
Other knots I am familiar with such as the bowline, square, sheets bend, half hitch, clove hitch and the like, but I hadn't heard of this Reever Bend and quite like it's look and strength. Also you can untie it fairly easily but while tied, it's quite strong.

Here's one that I tied recently, I usually will tie it again every few days to make sure that I have the method down pat, otherwise it'll 'slip' away from me so practice practice practice ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

This is the video that I learned the knot from, he does a very good job of explaining, even for me...

So, I encourage you guys and gals to learn this one if you haven't already, it will be a good one to have in your library of knots
G2

That one’s been showing up here and there a lot lately. I‘ve been having trouble with it, but I keep trying. Your video is better than the ones I saw, so thanks for that!

Knots have fascinated me lately, I've made a lot of lanyards that use Diamond knots, Wide Diamond knots and snake knots as well as a whipping knot to keep the lanyard in place.

But recently learned of a knot called a Reever Bend. This is the type of knot used to tie two ends of cordage together, either to end up with a loop or just to extend a length of cord. I've used it to make a loop to hang a bird feeder so it can be hung on a hook, using that knot made it much neater and also very strong.
Other knots I am familiar with such as the bowline, square, sheets bend, half hitch, clove hitch and the like, but I hadn't heard of this Reever Bend and quite like it's look and strength. Also you can untie it fairly easily but while tied, it's quite strong.

Here's one that I tied recently, I usually will tie it again every few days to make sure that I have the method down pat, otherwise it'll 'slip' away from me so practice practice practice ;)

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

This is the video that I learned the knot from, he does a very good job of explaining, even for me...

So, I encourage you guys and gals to learn this one if you haven't already, it will be a good one to have in your library of knots
G2

That's interesting. I use a double fisherman's knot to connect two cords together, but that looks better.

The double fisherman works great, but when loaded heavy they can turn into a rock. I’ve had to cut them off more than once. I’ve found the zepplin to be a good alternate. This reever looks like it has possibilities, I like how the tag ends lie along the main line. If I can ever manage to learn/remember how to tie it, that is.

I have trouble remembering knots too. I used to keep a piece of para cord handy to practice while I was streaming stuff on the TV, but I haven't done that in a while. My list of knots that I can tie on demand without either thinking and experimenting or getting a refresher online is:

o Square knot
o Sheet bend
o Bowline
o Fisherman's
o Double fisherman's
o Slip knot
o A thing with half of the double Fisherman's around a short loop on the other end to make something that hold a little, but will pull through if you pull on it hard enough (for making a safety feature for neck lanyards)

Nice guys, and that video makes it very easy to remember, but, I do still practice every other day just to keep it fresh in my mind. And if I were making it for a real life application I would also tie a whipping knot on each side to keep the ends under control.
G2

I've watched my twin nephews (they were both professional, sponsored climbers at one point and one still is) tying knots in climbing ropes and it's fun how deftly and casually they're able to do them. They use different kinds of figure 8 knots that are known to be more secure than a simple bowline and some others. It has me thinking . . . clearly some knots are superior to others based on the circumstances. Some are more secure under loads, some are easier to untie, some are primarily ornamental, etc. My question is, does the type and size of the line used affect whether a knot is suitable for a specific application? For example, are some knots more or less useful for suture material, fishing line, #36 bank line, 550 para cord, climbing ropes, tow ropes, etc.

Most definitely, I would say. There is a lot of variations in rope/cord materials and textures. I’ve found two different brands of paracord take knots differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back