Kobun vs gi tanto

Looking to gather some user input as to which current owners would prefer over the other and some key points as to why. I Currently have both coming in but may only keep one and am having a difficult time deciding which tanto to go with. I know they are cheap enough to justify both but two fixed tantos may be a little redundant given my lack of use of fixed blades.

Completely different animals.

Nothing alike in weight, blade height, construction, grind etc.

The kobun is a light concealable knife.

The GI tanto is much more robust. Taller blade, tougher, and more of a wear on your belt type of knife.

I use my GI tanto as a thrower.

The Kobun is a light quick back up knife.

If you want something classy and concealable, the Kobun. Something to absolutely thrash on without care, the GI tanto

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Pretty much what Glenn said. If you want something light and easy to conceal, say, as last ditch personal protection, the Kobun is for you. OTOH, if you want something that you can hack through a medium sized tree branch, pry open rocks, lash to a pole for spearing wild boar, and throw into a stump from 20 feet after parachuting into the Rocky Mountains, the GI Tanto would be the better choice.

Pretty much what Glenn said. If you want something light and easy to conceal, say, as last ditch personal protection, the Kobun is for you. OTOH, if you want something that you can hack through a medium sized tree branch, pry open rocks, lash to a pole for spearing wild boar, and throw into a stump from 20 feet after parachuting into the Rocky Mountains, the GI Tanto would be the better choice.

^

What he said :)

Keep both of them. Stick the kobun in your boot and use the gi when you want to play at Bear Grylls.

Thats for the classic responses, I think I'm going to keep both. They should be here Friday along with my royal kukri, ultimate hunter and ka bar so I can do some in hand comparisons.

Any pictures of both side by side in the meantime would be awesome, you know to hold me over for the week ;)

Back