1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

KPL vs Nano Oil

Discussion in 'Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment' started by Aerosmith101, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Aerosmith101

Aerosmith101

Oct 28, 2018
    Between KPL and Nano Oil which one works better

2. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    If you think of Nano Oil as a step up against some more typical oils KPL in my experience has been a step up above even that.

Just be sure to use only a tiny bit of lube. In lubricating knife pivots less is more. An excess will just attract and hold onto gunk.

sickpuppy1 likes this.
  3. sickpuppy1

sickpuppy1 Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2018
    LOL, unfortunately I don't think of nano oil as a step above sewing machine or motor oil. Just overpriced and marketed well. KPL I've not heard of or used so I cant speak of it. My fav is Go-Juice from ALG defense. Primarily sold as a firearm oil, its slick as hell and thin. stick to the parts real well and doesn't gum. I believe its synthetic also.

4. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I suspect KPL may be synthetic as well.

5. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    Was looking at the web site and yeah,it says it synthetic based, and then they add there own "stuff, secret sauce" wickablity adders.
    Sounds interesting. go-juice comes in a 4oz bottle though so I may not oil for,well, at least the rest of my life,lol

6. wade7575

wade7575

Apr 3, 2013
    Go-Juice is the way to go and it is very slippery and I can feel the difference when I use Go-Juice instead of other oil's.

If you buy Go-Juice get a bottle with a needle tip and you only need 2 drops down each side of the blade and then work the blade back and forth and your good to go,a bottle of that stuff will last you a very long time if used as I described.

7. ecallahan

ecallahan Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 14, 2011
    I have both and I prefer the KPL. I do not have any evidence of which is better. It just works well for me. I just use a drop or two on each side. Nick Shabazz has a review of it that includes a comparison with Nano oil I believe.

8. Baron Mind

Baron Mind

Mar 30, 2018
    I've hopped on the Go Juice train. Choo choo. Seriously though, notable difference vs. Daiwa Reel Oil. Haven't used KPL pr Nano Oil, but it is definitely a cut above Daiwa, which is pretty well regarded.

9. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    Go Juice is claimed to be biosynthetic, by which they mean it's a plant oil genetically engineered for high lubricity. Frankenseed oil.

KPL has a nice cinnamon scent.

10. sickpuppy1

Sep 27, 2018
    I dont think I've ever sniffed my oil so i couldn't tell ya if it's scented or not.......lol
    As long as it doesnt smell like dog butt,(or any other butt) I'm cool with it.

11. Pteronarcyd

Pteronarcyd

Feb 19, 2019
    ^ The only scented gun or knife lubricants I'm aware of are KPL (cinnamon), FrogLube (wintergreen), and baby oil (I can't place the scent, but find it somewhat unpleasant. If you don't notice a scent, your lube is likely unscented.