Kukri Knife Pre WW2

Can't discuss dollar values at your membership level. Site rules. Other questions are fair game.

Zieg

Money aside. I would like to know more about the kukri, like where its from roughly how old it is etc. Any info would be much appreciated.

Try posting this in the H.I. Cantina-Look under the HI heading, top left of HI homepage.--KV

Actually I'll move this whole deal over to the Cantina. I was thinking it's a Long Leaf but the sheath is not right.
Smarter folks than I will be along and shed some light on this. It's nice.

That's a cool older Khukri. No clue of the age or model. Either way, neat Khukri. Thanks for sharing!

Since you ask how much it's worth, I'm wondering if you are interested in selling it.

If so, upgrade your membership for a few dollars and you can post it on the Exchange. Also, you'd be able to exchange messages/emails with other members and maybe get more feedback on what it's worth. Of course a gift from your grandfather might have value for you beyond dollars.

I would hope a gift from grandfather would be priceless but not always the case.

Definitely pre WWII and maybe pre WWI Hanshee. IT looks like some of the IMA/AC cache specimens before they sold off all the good stuff. How long have you had it and when did your grandpa get it? Any markings on its spine, handle,or sheath or anywhere else? Your very lucky to have the sheath with it. Those are very rare to almost non-existent nowadays especially in that condition. Gorgeous piece!

Ok cool. I have had it since the mid 90's. He passed away around that time. My grandfather has had it since the 30's but maybe got it in the 20's he was born in 1912. He was in WW2 from the start till the end of it. I have looked all over and cannot see any markings on the knife itself. There is markings on the sheath, see photos

https://ibb.co/xFQNnCK
https://ibb.co/8Pkg3nd

I got nothing to back this up with but to my eye the sheath doesn't match the same era as the knife.
Lack of the frog, the design. It's very nice, no question about that and probably better than original.
I could be way off on this too, I agree it does look like some of the IMA stuff.

Yes, but again that's only a think, I got nothing to prove yes or no. Most of the blades of that era offered by IMA or elsewhere didn't have sheaths and the ones available were usually in pretty rough condition.

There's something missing on the sheath. Notice the two holes on front? Makes me think there was a button or stud there at one time. Then again, it could of been an emblem or an accent piece. This might be one of life's little mysteries. Bawanna Bawanna I agree that the sheath is really nice.

If we could see pictures of the back side of the sheath, we may be able to deduce more about the frog or lack there of. A few years ago I traded into an older non-military khukri that supposedly is from the 1940's. The Chape is missing, but it still has the frog. Frog rests against a band of leather that's tacked in place. I'm curious if we can see evidence of such things with photos of the back. . .

The second photo in the first post shows what I thought was the back of the sheath. I can't enlarge it or make it clear enough. I thought it was just a loop but looking again it looks almost like it held a smaller knife and I don't see a belt attachment.
Now I'm really curious about this thing.

The second photo in the first post shows what I thought was the back of the sheath. I can't enlarge it or make it clear enough. I thought it was just a loop but looking again it looks almost like it held a smaller knife and I don't see a belt attachment.
Now I'm really curious about this thing.

Thanks for pointing me to those other pictures. didn't notice the sheath in them the first time I looked. That is a pouch on the back. If I remember correctly it's designed to hold small tools like a Karda, Chakma, file, tweezers, hole punch etc.. Some old Khukri sheaths had those pouches. It turned the setup into a very useful Multi tool. Grab your Khukri and you had every basic tool you may need. Think of them as the Nepali version of the SAK or Multitool. Finding examples with the sheath and tools increases there monetary value. Though as a hand me down from a relative, it's priceless. ;)

That Khukri might have had a frog, or it might not. Khukri's used to be carried in Sashes or belts. With out examining the sheath for evidence of a frog, I can only guess. Not even sure if I could tell even if I had it in hand. An expert on old Khukri's might know. If the holes on the front of the sheath are from a button, then I'd bet it was setup for sash carry sans frog. But again, who really knows.

I've seen sheaths with patterns like that on some of the older khukuris. The knife is probably older than the sheath because leather doesn't last as long as a blade or wood handle. However it's possible that the sheath was stored in plastic wrap or something that protected it from moisture in the air.

As for the two "holes" in front, I have created holes like that by snipping off karda/chakma pouches from a vintage khukuri, or sometimes buttoned cross-pieces that were attached to the front of the sheath with some kind of stitching. Usually I would only do that when the piece has deteriorated to the point that the sheath is better off without it.

Here's an example where I removed the pouch and "crossed buttons" from the back and front of a sheath, leaving "holes" like the ones shown above. The blade and sheath are not as old (or patterned) as the one by OfficialNovak, but the holes after snipping looked the same. I ended up filling them in with epoxy. There wasn't anything wrong with the pieces that I removed, but I didn't much care for the look of them, and since the knife is pretty much a pure fighter the karda and chakma seemed unnecessary. I just put them away. The pictures shown here are "before" images. I don't have "after" images.

Sirupati18in-ToraBlades25oz-02.jpg Sirupati18in-ToraBlades25oz-03.jpg Sirupati18in-ToraBlades25oz-01.jpg

Back