kukri quality

Hi, I don't know where else to ask this question. There are several kukri companies is Nepal, kukri house thamel ex Gurkha kukri house and kukri palace are a . How can you tell if their knife are good. I have heard some say they are junk and other say they are great. I am looking for a practical knife no one that is cosmetically perfect

Himalayan Imports is best. They even have their own subforum here.
I got 12 of their Kukris and am using 3 of them very often.
Needles to say I'm very satisfied with them.
:)

what about the others, I know who the best is. how do the others compare

Well,I will put it here for you plain and simple way from my own experience.

I have done a lot of research online (reviews, youtube videos, ect.) After all time I spent searching for answers to my questions only few manufacturers made it to my final consideration and that were EGKH, KHHI, HI and TORA BLADES...When my decision was made, I ordered few customs from KHHI (Khukuri House Handicraft Industry) and than gave a shot to more expensive Himalayan Imports. Both companies made an excellent, well functional khukuries and knives and both impressed me with quality and fit /finish of their products. With KHHI I spend a lot of time to exchanging emails about various modifications I wish to be made, they replied always swiftly, fast and were more than welcome to accommodate every my thoughts and ideas, or even give me advice and regular info on the progress of my orders.They use variety of carbon spring steels according your wish, even ballbearing EN 31 industrial steel, 5160 leaf spring, ect....their products comes cheaper in comparison to most HI standards but they are not much focused on fit and finish,these guys made stuff to be used,plain simple workhorse blades. Non of their stuff comes superbly finished and polished as Himalayan Imports 20inch CAK,but they made every sheath superbly fitted to blade in comparison to HI CAK, where sheath was made just too big and therefore Khukuri will freely fall out of sheath once tilted to one or another side. I didn't mind this,as I got huge discount from HI on this particular blade allready, and Khukuri itself is a piece of art, considering its fully forged and handmade it's beyond expectations well made.

Difference was waiting period - KHHI about 1 month, HI was probably more than 6 months, shipping charges were higher from HI, to Europe than KHHI,also with KHHI you shall made your shipping money worth by ordering few pieces on one go, well worth it!!!! If you are US based however,than HI will probably be even cheaper due to non import taxation and shipping as Hi is US owed business, that's why these guys have so much customers in US.

I would wish to try in future EGKH and TORA BLADES too as these seem very genuine manufacturers from their customers reviews available..

Hope this will somehow help

Hi thanks for your assessment, I have looked at the utbe videos but they don't say alot I ignore HI and Tora because the are the most expensive and the best, I don't need quality for quality sake as long as the knife will hold up. I noticed you mentioned EGKH, that is one I am looking at. several of them list the specs and the hardness is the same for most, one is a tad harder. I read is and article that service issue kukri made for the British and Nepal are about the same grade as tourist. This is very confusing thanks Mike

Hi thanks for your assessment, I have looked at the utbe videos but they don't say alot I ignore HI and Tora because the are the most expensive and the best, I don't need quality for quality sake as long as the knife will hold up. I noticed you mentioned EGKH, that is one I am looking at. several of them list the specs and the hardness is the same for most, one is a tad harder. I read is and article that service issue kukri made for the British and Nepal are about the same grade as tourist. This is very confusing thanks Mike

In this case, it's worth to consider EGKH and KHHI. KHHI will forge any blade of your desire for very reasonable price - equal to their standard models. You need to provide them with at least picture,or blueprint and your desired dimensions, they are very open to discuss your wish throughout, they are very fast in response times to your queries.Shipping time just 3 days to Europe, plus 2-3 weeks waiting period till order was made by their kamis... They don't seem to have in stock much of standard models, everything is made on order. EGKH in comparison seem to have large stock of standard models ready to ship,however they are also open to made customs as far as I am aware.... I wouldn't worry to order from them too,they seem very genuine and legit about their products, but that's only my guess... Surely there are guys here who have their blades and may say something about them.

I asked the way I did because if they make a good knife they make a good knife. I collect used military issue kukri if I can get them, but there are some I looked at that I might have to buy new, they are the knife that is issued to troops or police. I many not use the knife but if I do I want a good knife, I am looking mainly at ex Gurkha Kukri House and Kukri House Thamel and kukri palace. I like the idea of a HI villager for a user

To help you find the best kukri it would be helpful if you could answer a few questions. It is not necessary to bring up any company names.

- What model of kukri are you looking for?

- What task or tasks would you like this blade to perform?

I would like a traditional style or one that is issued to troops or police no a large one maybe around 10 inches or so. Tasks I would say survival, camp work, no real heavy chopping

Then I would suggest a Service No. 1 or a Jungle kukri. The Service No 1 has a polished horn handle while the Jungle has a raw horn handle. This is the standard service issued Kukri in use today.

Virtually everyone makes this model well, I have them from Tora, HI, KHHI, Khukuri Palace, Nepalese Kukri House (NKH), and one other company that I forget at the moment. I have had about 50 from Khukuri Palace without a single bad blade.

Good luck with your search.

Then I would suggest a Service No. 1 or a Jungle kukri. The Service No 1 has a polished horn handle while the Jungle has a raw horn handle. This is the standard service issued Kukri in use today.

Virtually everyone makes this model well, I have them from Tora, HI, KHHI, Khukuri Palace, Nepalese Kukri House (NKH), and one other that forget at the moment. I have about had about 50 from Khukuri Palace without a single bad blade.

Good luck with your search.

:thumbup:

For what it's worth at this point, I bought a custom blade from khhi. The handle broke off while batoning. There was an obvious flaw in the metal and they replaced without question. The second on broke in the place.

I could have been asking too much of the kukris but for a survival tool, I can't help but think they should have been able to hendle it. They were a wonderful comoanyntonwork with, I just have concerns about quality control.

I've two Khuks from GGKH. A 13" light duty sirupate and 12" heavy duty Dui Chirra.
The biggest one, the 12 incher (really thick) had hotspots on the handle and wood had some marks, tang had a gap between wood scale and metal tang, etc. I filed them down, no problems now
F&F was very crude, but as a chopper and working tool it's hard to beat for the money, held an edge well and was easily sharpened
The thin sirupate is quick, fast and very maneuverable, and offers a really nice grip for smaller hands. I am very happy with those, and cannot comment on the others as I only own three kuks, two being from EGKH.
Shipping was reasonable, and communication excellent and quick.

Just my two cents.

Back