Kukri vs machete (big cheap chopper)

Not all of them are that cheap, but for doing dirty jobs-clearing bush, chopping wood, digging fire pit, poking fire, putting out fire and other general around the house, car camping and lighter than an axe camping, what do people prefer?
Con vs Pros
One better that the other?
Curious-also as to models of what you prefer, links or pictures appreciated too!

Cheers

I wouldn't want to slash my way through a leafy jungle with a heavy khukri, and I wouldn't want to be stuck in a northern deciduous forest (where one might chop up a fallen tree for firewood) with a light machete.

The many different types of khukri-like objects (from khukri shaped machetes to a Himilayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola, for example) makes it even harder to really answer your query for you.

Check out the HIMILAYAN IMPORTS Forum for real-deal heavy-duty khukris that many consider to be the best. You'll find pics-a-plenty in the stickied picture thread.

But be warned, HI khuks are addictive... ;)

Mark laid it out pretty well...

I think many people have the belief that khuks and machetes cover the same niches in out door use because they have handled some cheap khuks which were made from thin stock. IOW, they only had experienced with KSOs, or "khukri shaped objects".

I've seen people try to do khuk work with a machete, and while a quality machete can make a good chopper, they won't hold up as well over time, and are light for the job.

Machetes are intended for cutting light vegetation, not chopping hardwoods, as khuks are.

Andy

Both will quickly remove limbs from both plants or animals. Khuks are better choppers and and machetes are better multitools and easier to use for long periods. A Machete in the trunk raises fewer eyebrows than a Khuk too. Don't ask me how I know. :-D

I also had a KSO that was sort of half way between the two while I was in Baghdad. It was my "do everything" tool and cut firewood, flipped burgers and steaks, killed lots of rats, was part of my hootch defense plan, and still lives in the back of the boat. It was thin cheap, and made of hollow ground stainless that got abused and re-edged more times than I can count. It was the most usefull piece of junk I ever bought over there.

It is tough to beat a good, well profiled machete. Many outdoorsmen prefer the 18 inch machete as the ultimate in a survival tool/weapon. Of course when chopping hard targets, the mass of the knife contributes significant power but the speed of the arc is also important. In Costa Rica, Cuba and countless other nations the machete is a must for all manner of tasks. Also, the machete tends to be a cheaper solution than snagging a top notch kuk. Both make decent weapons against two legged or four legged problems if you are up to the challenge.

In my estimation, my 18 inch Ontario performs better on hard and soft targets than my Basic 9. It could be that I just have more experience with the longer blade, but the cuts from the long thin machete are just amazing. Machetes also will take a heck of a lot of abuse. That being said, the kuk is better for prying and is probably almost impossible to ruin in normal or abnormal use. If I had to trek far into the bush, I'd prefer the lighter machete. Many ex soldiers have one in the trunk...

kershaw outcast and a HF 1x30, chops better than most small axe's and holds a edge forever.

I wouldn't want to slash my way through a leafy jungle with a heavy khukri, and I wouldn't want to be stuck in a northern deciduous forest (where one might chop up a fallen tree for firewood) with a light machete.

The many different types of khukri-like objects (from khukri shaped machetes to a Himilayan Imports Chiruwa Ang Khola, for example) makes it even harder to really answer your query for you.

This sums it up really well.

One other thing to keep in mind while trying each out is that there is a different technique for using them. Some people will swing a khuk around like a club and then wonder what the big deal is.

The HI subforum has some threads on khuk technique if you're interested.

Back