KUKRIS???

Shipping from Nepal to Reno is covered in the asking price, shipping from Reno to you is not included. If you find a knife on the forum you send an email to Yangdu. She will advise if you are the first and get to purchase it and also let you know the shipping cost. She ships incredibly fast, often wonder how she does it.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people telling me that and I am starting to reconsider...

I've slipped onto the blades of a few knives that HAVE finger guards, actually, so it's something I'm pretty particular about now, but I am thinking of trying it out...

Thank you!
The ring around the middle of the handle goes between two fingers when you grip the knife, and locks your hand in place. It's good, dependable protection against your hand slipping onto the blade, even when stabbing.

That said, you normally wouldn't stab with one of these blades, and certainly not into something hard like a block of wood or a tree trunk. Maybe you'd stab in a self-defense situation, but if you stab into something living, let's say a wild boar just to avoid legal issues, the ring would protect against your hand slipping forward.

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people telling me that and I am starting to reconsider...

I've slipped onto the blades of a few knives that HAVE finger guards, actually, so it's something I'm pretty particular about now, but I am thinking of trying it out...

Thank you!

Think of a khukri as a hand-axe. You rarely see finger guards on hand axes. Swing, chop, cut, shave.

Try not to take your experience with other bladed tools and apply it too stringently to khukris; they are tools which have morphed into weapons, but were made for cutting and shaping wood and vegetation, building huts or homes, or, if you happen to have a fatted bullock, for severing the spinal column while a friend stretches the head out to separate the vertebrae.

Have fun, be safe.

Think of a khukri as a hand-axe. You rarely see finger guards on hand axes. Swing, chop, cut, shave.

Try not to take your experience with other bladed tools and apply it too stringently to khukris; they are tools which have morphed into weapons, but were made for cutting and shaping wood and vegetation, building huts or homes, or, if you happen to have a fatted bullock, for severing the spinal column while a friend stretches the head out to separate the vertebrae.

Have fun, be safe.

Sounds awesome!

THANK YOU for this!

Do you have a size of Kukri that you prefer?

-T

Asking about size of a khukuri is a bit like asking what size wrench you prefer.

The size depends on what will be the main usage of your khukuri. It also depends on how strong and fit you are, since a few extra ounces can tire you out quickly if you're chopping a lot of wood, or even if you're swinging the knife in some kind of martial arts form. Weight is also important if you plan to take your knife on long hikes. If you plan to use your khukuri in the kitchen you don't want a big, heavy blade that can destroy a counter-top or even a cutting board.

In my opinion, many people pay too much attention to blade length and not enough attention to weight. Most of the listings on the Bladeforums Exchange don't even give the weight. Yangdu always gives the weight in her blade postings. Not knowing the weight might be ok for smaller, western-style blades that only weigh a few ounces, but Nepal-made khukuris are in a different ballpark, especially the larger ones that are almost like axes.

The size and shape of the handle is also important. An inch or two difference in blade length might make little difference in functionality, but if the handle is too short, too long or the wrong girth for your hand by as much as an inch it can turn a potentially useful knife into a wall-hanger.

That said, a good compromise for most purposes is 20-24 oz and 15-18" overall length. Most of the vintage khukuris from the WWI and WWII eras or older, seem to be in this size range, usually under 18" overall length. Those khukuris were made for soldiers, so they had to be multi-purpose and not too heavy to carry along with lots of other equipment.

By the way, most of the VUKs (Village Utility Knives) that Yangdu sells are in this size range.

Asking about size of a khukuri is a bit like asking what size wrench you prefer.

The size depends on what will be the main usage of your khukuri. It also depends on how strong and fit you are, since a few extra ounces can tire you out quickly if you're chopping a lot of wood, or even if you're swinging the knife in some kind of martial arts form. Weight is also important if you plan to take your knife on long hikes. If you plan to use your khukuri in the kitchen you don't want a big, heavy blade that can destroy a counter-top or even a cutting board.

In my opinion, many people pay too much attention to blade length and not enough attention to weight. Most of the listings on the Bladeforums Exchange don't even give the weight. Yangdu always gives the weight in her blade postings. Not knowing the weight might be ok for smaller, western-style blades that only weigh a few ounces, but Nepal-made khukuris are in a different ballpark, especially the larger ones that are almost like axes.

The size and shape of the handle is also important. An inch or two difference in blade length might make little difference in functionality, but if the handle is too short, too long or the wrong girth for your hand by as much as an inch it can turn a potentially useful knife into a wall-hanger.

That said, a good compromise for most purposes is 20-24 oz and 15-18" overall length. Most of the vintage khukuris from the WWI and WWII eras or older, seem to be in this size range, usually under 18" overall length. Those khukuris were made for soldiers, so they had to be multi-purpose and not too heavy to carry along with lots of other equipment.

By the way, most of the VUKs (Village Utility Knives) that Yangdu sells are in this size range.

AWESOME history lesson!!

That really helps me to re-think things and reflect on things differently!

Thank you!

-T

OK, so this is your first H.I. khukri, right?

My first was a 15in H.I. AK, in my opinion the pivot purchase from which all subsequent purchases most folks make follow. I suggested the villager to you which was a 15 AK-ish.

This size gives you some heft and dimension, can be wielded by folks of different stature, will certainly match any hand-axe you might consider, excepting some Nordic Warrior marauding blades. You may get it and live happily ever after.

After that, and after use on motorcycle camping trips and some camps out on my property, I started shopping for a 12 inch AK because I was using it for campfires, roasting sticks, maybe a walking staff. I have cut down trees on my property, but it was work for the 15 and, well, I have other tools for that chore. I didn't need the longer, heavier 15 for most tasks. I did not go camping to cut down trees.

If the 12 meant I had to chop three times instead of one, it also meant that every step I took I was carrying about half the weight--and I stepped more than I chopped.
I've not hiked along forest trails or public wilderness paths, but I considered the reaction of strangers seeing the modest 15in AK versus the diminutive and effective 12 inch.
I've had others, only one of which I treasure and that is a 12in Pen Knife that Bill M. gave to Sarge for his deployment to Afghanistan and where Sarge talked of sanding off some corrosion with Afghani dust.

I use the 12in villager and admire the Pen knife.

One note into my thinking back when I got these: The H.I. 12in AKs had (at that time) somewhat shorter handles than the villagers did. I preferred the larger handle, although I do not have massive hands.

Bottom line, as has been said, you will be pleased with whatever you buy from HI. I can't speak to other vendors. I have known and trusted H.I. for over 18 years.

One final point: the khukris were never expected to handle ALL tasks. They come with karda and chakma (sp?). The karda is meant to be used for small edged blade tasks, the ch--something or other is for touching up the blade after use...basically pushing the edge metal back in place for field repair.

Be safe, stay healthy, and be well.

Last edited:

OK, so this is your first H.I. khukri, right?

My first was a 15in H.I. AK, in my opinion the pivot purchase from which all subsequent purchases most folks make follow. I suggested the villager to you which was a 15 AK-ish.

This size gives you some heft and dimension, can be wielded by folks of different stature, will certainly match any hand-axe you might consider, excepting some Nordic Warrior marauding blades. You may get it and live happily ever after.

After that, and after use on motorcycle camping trips and some camps out on my property, I started shopping for a 12 inch AK because I was using it for campfires, roasting sticks, maybe a walking staff. I have cut down trees on my property, but it was work for the 15 and, well, I have other tools for that chore. I didn't need the longer, heavier 15 for most tasks. I did not go camping to cut down trees.

If the 12 meant I had to chop three times instead of one, it also meant that every step I took I was carrying about half the weight--and I stepped more than I chopped.
I've not hiked along forest trails or public wilderness paths, but I considered the reaction of strangers seeing the modest 15in AK versus the diminutive and effective 12 inch.
I've had others, only one of which I treasure and that is a 12in Pen Knife that Bill M. gave to Sarge for his deployment to Afghanistan and where Sarge talked of sanding off some corrosion with Afghani dust.

I use the 12in villager and admire the Pen knife.

One note into my thinking back when I got these: The H.I. 12in AKs had (at that time) somewhat shorter handles than the villagers did. I preferred the larger handle, although I do not have massive hands.

Bottom line, as has been said, you will be pleased with whatever you buy from HI. I can't speak to other vendors. I have known and trusted H.I. for over 18 years.

One final point: the khukris were never expected to handle ALL tasks. They come with karda and chakma (sp?). The karda is meant to be used for small edged blade tasks, the ch--something or other is for touching up the blade after use...basically pushing the edge metal back in place for field repair.

Be safe, stay healthy, and be well.

Awesome!

Thank you SO MUCH for the response!

I'm STOKED to get started with the Kukri. I have been experimenting with large blade and small blades and hatchets etc. for a number of years now and I feel that the kukri is the perfect design for an all around task blade...

Can't believe I didn't find it sooner!

Thanks again!

-T

Anybody have any experience with GK & CO KUKRI HOUSE kukris??

They have some really nice looking stuff that looks to be made traditionally. I'm thinking of getting a few from them since they're continental.

Shipping at all the other places is $35- $40!

You probably won't get much response to this. Every one here has been here awhile and through experience has figured out that most everything but HI is in the also ran category. We pretty much stick with the best.
All HI ships from Reno, not sure what you mean by continental.

HI knives are made in Nepal. In VERY traditional fashion. Everything made is sent to Yangdu who's family is in Nepal but she resides in Reno Nevada. She distributes all over the world from Reno.

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the weight! Soo annoying how no one ever posts the weight! It's one of the first things I look at. Blade length, handle type/shape, weight...

Anybody have any experience with GK & CO KUKRI HOUSE kukris??

They have some really nice looking stuff that looks to be made traditionally. I'm thinking of getting a few from them since they're continental.

Shipping at all the other places is $35- $40!

There are dozens or hundreds of knife makers ("houses") in Nepal, original makers of khukuris. You will find all kinds of information about different makers. Many are cheap for a reason. Don't fall for it.

There's only a handful of Khukuri dealers well worth your efforts. And Himalayan Imports are always in the top few (or top 2-3). They have been doing it for a long time.

I too looked into those "houses" when I first started, but I wisely went with HI, and have never regretted it.

And I don't think this is a stretch...but I think most of us become clients for life.

xx

There are dozens or hundreds of knife makers ("houses") in Nepal, original makers of khukuris. You will find all kinds of information about different makers. Many are cheap for a reason. Don't fall for it.

There's only a handful of Khukuri dealers well worth your efforts. And Himalayan Imports are always in the top few (or top 2-3). They have been doing it for a long time.

I too looked into those "houses" when I first started, but I wisely went with HI, and have never regretted it.

And I don't think this is a stretch...but I think most of us become clients for life.

xx

Do you have a place other than HI that ships from the United States that you recommend?

Thanks,

T

Earlier, I referenced the Suga with buffalo bone handle, as a model you may be suited for. One of its characteristics is a handguard you have brought up.

This is an example of the most recent offering (now sold). A fancy variant:
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/villager-suga-knife-for-12-30.1767547/#post-20236239

And this is a more common example (also sold):
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...nd-beautiful-offerings.1735644/#post-19840869

The Suga with buffalo bone handle and handguard IS NOT as traditional as khukuris generally are. But the size, weight and your requirement would make it fitting. I would think. And well worth the price.

xx

Just out of curiosity, I searched for the enthusiastic TMA on Blade Forum and found that on January 29,2021, he was asking in another forum how to modify a Farm and Fleet hand axe that he had had for years.

Probably why he is not posting in this thread anymore.

Ah well, we tried.

Back