Kumar made me a 25" Gelbu Special (Initial Review) Perfect Balance

A while back Yangdu had Kumar make a Gelbu Special for me. I only asked that it be 25" long, and have a wooden handle, and be villager fit and finish, because I plan to use it. This thing is a masterpiece. The wood feels alive. The handle is perfect fit and finish. The whole thing weighs in at 36 ounces, but somehow feels much lighter. It is asking to be swung through the air. When you swing it, it feels like a whip. I'm not sure how else to describe it. With a flick of your wrist, this 36 ounce beast will strike like lightning. I have heard people talk about a 25" 25oz Gelbu Special, I can imagine how well balanced and awesome it would swing. However, I was glad I didn't make a specific request on the weight. Instead just let Kumar do his thing. This turned out just right. I can tell that it is somewhat heavy, but because of the design and the balance, when you swing it around it feels like you are cracking a whip like Indiana Jones.

Pictures will never show the true glory of the Gelbu Special fuller. It is astonishing. The edge was razor sharp out of the box. It was missing the karda but Yangdu already has one in the mail for me. I have not had a chance to use this yet, but I can already tell this is one of those magical blades. When I do get it out in the woods, I will give a review on that.

This knife just felt so balanced I was curious if I could balance it on my finger. I was able to balance it on my wedding ring on my pointer finger. Amazing! I guess you can call this a Kumar GS Balance Knife!

Last edited:
Congrats, but I sure as hell wouldn't be balancing no beast like that anywhere near my finger, especially if my finger(s) are underneath it!

DANG Eric! Im spleachless! Thats a sexy knife alright! That tip is just beggin to slash and the handle wood is gorgeous stuff. I love the way Kumar finishes his handles and that sir was a very fine choice of blade styles! You can always count on Kumar to make a well balanced knife no matter what you want. Color me very jealous for sure and thanks for posting! Ill leave it at that cause you got the only one I've ever heard of. Do let us know how it performs. I have a 25" Siru and a 25" Kobra but the Ang Khola edge on the Gelbu Special is what really intrigued me especially in the longer 20-25" versions. The one Cul gifted me ive been enjoying very much! It has a drawn out tip like that one and is.. well...wicked!

DANG Eric! Im spleachless! Thats a sexy knife alright! That tip is just beggin to slash and the handle wood is gorgeous stuff. I love the way Kumar finishes his handles and that sir was a very fine choice of blade styles! You can always count on Kumar to make a well balanced knife no matter what you want. Color me very jealous for sure and thanks for posting! Ill leave it at that cause you got the only one I've ever heard of. Do let us know how it performs. I have a 25" Siru and a 25" Kobra but the Ang Khola edge on the Gelbu Special is what really intrigued me especially in the longer 20-25" versions. The one Cul gifted me ive been enjoying very much! It has a drawn out tip like that one and is.. well...wicked!
Will do. Since I received this knife, when I am at home, it is almost always in my hand or by my side. I really love it. Can't wait to get out there and get'er dirty.

Last edited:
What a beauty!!! I personally love the satin finish on a blade. Something about the color and the way it soaks in the light... Kumar is a Master!

Back