Kwaikens!

Hey guys,

So, can you guys recommend me some Kwaikens?

I've got 7 Jake Hoback Kwaibacks, a Reate Todd Begg Steelcraft, two Reate K2s (thanks to Boon)....

I'm looking for more.

They've got to be special. Bokers don't do it for me. Preferably custom or at least mid-tech.

Recommendations?

tumblr_niqqweCCP51smcbm7o1_250.gif

I am still heavily contemplating the CKF/Hoback Kwaiback Collab. You could look into Liong Mah, he deals in similar patterns that could appeal to you. If you want something fixed and chisel-y, @Charlie Mike could hook you up.

tumblr_niqqweCCP51smcbm7o1_250.gif

I am still heavily contemplating the CKF/Hoback Kwaiback Collab. You could look into Liong Mah, he deals in similar patterns that could appeal to you. If you want something fixed and chisel-y, @Charlie Mike could hook you up.

Do it. I was lucky enough to score a CKF Kwaiback with their discount code and on sale, so, I sotle it, however, it's totally worth whatever sub $600 dollar price they're asking. Frankly, it's one of the best flippers I've ever owned, trumping a few of my actual Kwaibacks.

On another note, the K2 is awesome. I have both the bronze and silver diamond version.

I second Liong Mah. His Reate collabs were some of the nicest kwaiken I've handled. Didn't have any of the common issues (couldn't touch any part of the edge when closed) and still looked pretty nice. I'd recommend a XV.

Liong Mah
Jason Clark
David Clark
Pohan Leu
Rike
I have a Quartermaster (that's right) Kwaiken that I absolutely love the design. I guess it's a We made knife anyway.

I like Kwaikens too. That Mah XV is on my super short list.

Last edited:
Also,
Brad Zinker
Chuck Gedraitis
Quset
If not a Boker, how about a Lucas Burnley (I don't care for the Boker kwaiken either)
I like the look of some of Will Moon's knives but...best check his reputation before buying

It may seem rather plain, but the Boker (and Lucas Burnley's custom original) is what started all this kwaiken madness in the first place.

Interested in fixed Kwaikens?
Ben Tendick and Matthew Gregory have been KILLIN' it lately!

They recently did another run of the Liong Mah Warrior 2. I have one from the original run. I think it's one of the best looking folding kwaikens I've seen. Of course it's very well made.

Yeah I like the new BHQ kwaiken too. I think it's my favorite of all the different versions I've seen of that Burnley design. I was hoping to see some video of it.

Loving the Warrior 2, definitely on my list of knives to buy if I can find one. Hand ground blades huh?

The BHQ Boker is pretty sweet too, digging the handles.

Loving the Warrior 2, definitely on my list of knives to buy if I can find one. Hand ground blades huh?

The BHQ Boker is pretty sweet too, digging the handles.

I've wondered what "hand ground" means when referring to a production knife like the Warrior 2. It could be that the hand grinding is finishing or???
I've also seen some swedge asymmetry on various knives (including a Reate) and that makes me wonder if the blades were hand ground. So is hand ground desirable? I'm not so sure. No issues with my Warrior 2 though.

I've wondered what "hand ground" means when referring to a production knife like the Warrior 2. It could be that the hand grinding is finishing or???
I've also seen some swedge asymmetry on various knives (including a Reate) and that makes me wonder if the blades were hand ground. So is hand ground desirable? I'm not so sure. No issues with my Warrior 2 though.

Personally, I cherish hand ground blades. I'd much prefer the human element over perfection. It adds an ineffable quality.

Back