Kydex hardware question

Uncle Timbo

Gold Member
I've seen some people using phillips screws in their kydex sheath construction. Where can you buy them? I'm going to start making them for myself so any and all advise would be appreciated.
Also, if you are going to use a homemade press with camping foam will the hot (300 degree ?) kydex harm the handle on a Mora 2000 ? Help this poor ol hillbilly out.

All I know is that when I tried to make mine, the chicago screws were to long to actually hold the kydex together.

A lot of the kydex sheaths I've seen, and all the kydex sheaths I have, are held together with open-centered rivets.

I've seen all the rivets and straight slot screws but at one point where the belt part will fasten to the sheath will be either 3 or 4 layers.

Those Philips head screws might be the ones that come with the belt clip. . . maybe check knifekits.com. I'm sure there are other suppliers, that's just the one that I know.

check places like Lowes or Home depot , they have the aluminum posts ( sometimes steel ) for mounting the sheath to the tec-lock , you can find the screws there as well. You can even get the ruber washers there for mounting between a tec-lock and a sheath , they are faucet washers and they work great.

I use allen or torx screws to attach my kydex sheath to the tec-locks , makes for a cleaner finished product.
Blue painters tape works great on protecting stuff during the press portion.

check places like Lowes or Home depot , they have the aluminum posts ( sometimes steel ) for mounting the sheath to the tec-lock , you can find the screws there as well. You can even get the ruber washers there for mounting between a tec-lock and a sheath , they are faucet washers and they work great.

I use allen or torx screws to attach my kydex sheath to the tec-locks , makes for a cleaner finished product.

yuppers that is what i do

and yea the Mora 2k will handle the Kydex fine...I have 2 of them with custom sheaths done and they work GREAT!!

Eyelets work best for holding kydex pieces together, and if you use the #8s, and place them judiciously, you can attach your TekLok (or belt clip) with the screws and post going through them, thereby keeping holes in sheath to a minimum. Dedicated eyelet setters work best, but if you are just starting out, you can use a punch and anvil type setter, available from hardware stores or Tandy. As long as you are not heating the knife and kydex together, handle material will be unaffected.

Thanks for all the useful tips guys. I'll post some pics when I make my first sheath. It might take awhile so be patient.

Hey Guys...

Hillbilly..

I've seen some people using phillips screws in their kydex sheath construction. Where can you buy them? I'm going to start making them for myself so any and all advise would be appreciated.
Also, if you are going to use a homemade press with camping foam will the hot (300 degree ?) kydex harm the handle on a Mora 2000 ? Help this poor ol hillbilly out.

Yes the handle of the M2K can be effected by just the heat of the kydex.Protect the handle with masking tape and you should be fine..

Knife kits is the place to buy them in small quantities.

Scuba

All I know is that when I tried to make mine, the chicago screws were to long to actually hold the kydex together.

Grind the posts down or use standoffs.

Buck.

A lot of the kydex sheaths I've seen, and all the kydex sheaths I have, are held together with open-centered rivets.

They are called eyelets.

Hillbilly..

I've seen all the rivets and straight slot screws but at one point where the belt part will fasten to the sheath will be either 3 or 4 layers.

Depending on the thickness of plastic, they still may be too long.. Grind them down or use standoffs.

John

Yes, Home Depot has them but CRAZY expensive..In a pinch it's fine but don't buy them on a regular basis. You shouldn't pay more than .10 cents each,, and thats Alot!

Using allen scews and Torx are fine and look cool, but if an adjustment needs to be made in the field, unless you have a torx or allen set with you, you are phucked. Phillips head for simplicity not looks.

Painters tape is fine, but expensive, normal ordinary masking tape is perfect.
I use a large roll per week of masking tape which is about half the price of painters tape... Painters tape can also slide, No good!

Hillbilly..

Thanks for all the useful tips guys. I'll post some pics when I make my first sheath. It might take awhile so be patient.

Cool,, lets see some pics

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Hey Guys...

John...

Not a problem at all...

Reason I say Phillips head is that a few years ago a friend gave me a Huge container of button, allen head screws.. I thought they were great,, until I sent one to a soldier and when he got it,, couldn't put it on his gear.

He eventually found the proper driver, but I said Never again, and completely switched over to Phillips.

However that doesn't mean you won't see my sheaths with other screws other than phillips head. I make sheaths for Microtech, and no matter what I say they want Torx,, so torx it is..

Alost every decent multi-tool, Swiss Army knife has a Phillips head,, so that why I like them...

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

I never considered that part Eric , thanks again.

Though lately I have switched to leather but will have to break out the Kydex stuff to make a few for some upcoming knives I am finishing.

Back