Kydex help please!

On drop-leg sheaths, one usually uses a leg strap that is attached to the sheath. A good way to do this is to slip the strap through two slits/slots in the kydex. Now, I've been making these slots with a drill press, drilling a bunch of small, linear holes and then slowly cleaning up the slots with a file. However, this is laborious and difficult.

Can you guys suggest a better way of making these slits in the kydex? I don't have a milling machine, but do have a dremel, and some basic shop tools.

Thanks! :D

If you can get a movable table and fix it under the dremel, that might work. I dont think there is any way other than some type of milling operation...

I have done it on my drillpress with a cross-slide vise. The vise is a pretty cheap one but works fine for small jobs like that.

Andrew...

go to home depot and get a Rotozip bit . They should have one for plastics,, if not,,just grab whatever they've got...

Make yourself a jig that holds the sheath.Plunge the dremel with rotozip bit into the sheath and move it to the desired length of the slot..

Simple cutting them.. The hardest part is building some type of jig.. Doesn't have to be fancy,,just has to work...

ttyle

Eric....

if it's not the same thing
they make a wall board ( sheet rock ) cutter for drills.
looks like a drill bit but has sharpened flutes also..
before I stated using the miller for this
on the thin stuff I used a leather slot punch.
you can heat the Kydex up some to help the punch.

Back