Kydex Nighthawk Sheath=Handle Damage?

Hello all. I've recently been bitten by the Kydex sheath-making bug. I'm planning on making a sheath for my Buck Nighthawk, but I got to thinking: would the heat from the softened Kydex mar or damage the rubber insert on the handle?

If so, I can't see any way to remove the rubber insert. I was also thinking of something to protect the rubber with, but couldn't think of anything that would protect and also be thin enough. Hmmm.....

Has anyone made a Kydex sheath for the Nighthawk and can speak from experience? Thanks in advance for any replies!

Shouldn't be a problem as long as the kydex is heated separately.

If you believe the hype about the development of the Nighthawk it was made for and tested by the Navy SEALS one of the tests was to hold a cutting torch flame over the handle material for ten seconds .If that has any truth to it at all a few seconds of 300 degrees shouldn`t be any problem.

Awesome! Thanks a lot for the advice, guys :) I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. I'll report back here with the results.

It's in the press now........cooling........hopefully not melting :) For sure results will be posted ASAP!

Success!!! My Nighthawk came through unscathed! There is a faint line in the rubber grip where the edge of the Kydex ended, but you have to really be close and in good light to see it. I think the line is more from the clamping pressure than the heat. I really torqued it down this time (greatly increases the definition of the sheath BTW), so It think this caused it. Thanks a lot to all who replied and gave me the confidence to try it!!!

Sorry. I'm not real high speed with the photography equipment. Maybe I can talk the wife into snapping a few.

Back