Kydex or Concealex?

Robert H

Premium Sheathmaker
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I'm often asked what the difference is. They are two different plastics. Both are used for molding, both come in various thicknesses. Kydex has been around for years, with some of the first sheaths appearing in the 70's. Kydex and concealex are both "thermoplastics", meaning they must be heated to become pliable for molding.

Kydex is PVC based Acrylic, Concealex, which is a name invented to sell products, is better known as Boltoron, and is ABS based.

Which is better? I like the "Concealex" because it's easier to work with, grinds better, and has better resistance to heat and cold, where kydex gets brittle. I don't buy kydex, but the name has stuck as a generic for any synthetic sheaths or holsters.

I'm not sure who started doing sheaths first, but I do now it goes back to the 70's at least, so it's fairly old technology by now.

Thanks for that explanation. Never knew that.

I recently made a vacuum press for work (antenna radomes). Made an oven and the vac table and a metal frame that swings between the two. I wonder if concealex is good for radomes? Can you PM me with an industrial strength source, or a manufacturer I can contact to get a data sheet?

It's nice to hear the difference explained. I knew that Concealex was a better medium, but wasn't sure why.

Hi Robert i should have looked here first if my sheaths havent been made yet can i change the order to the concelex on all of them. Dave Thurmer

I only use Concealex, Dave. No worries.

Hey Rob,

Congrats on your own Forum!! Agreed that Concealex is better for sheaths than kydex. As to who pioneered the use of kydex for knife sheaths, my recollection is Bob Terzuola and Tom Marringer being the first two names associated with same.

Agreed, Mike. The earliest plastic sheath I've seen was an original Marringer. Incredible work for the time period.

Will I see you at the Riddle?

Robert H said:
Kydex is PVC based Acrylic, Concealex, which is a name invented to sell products, is better known as Boltoron, and is ABS based.

Thanks for explaining what these products are made of.

Where is a good place to buy concealex? I can only find 12x12 sheets for sale and need a 12x24 sheet to make a sheath for a machete I have.

I have been looking for concealex also with no luck. A lot of choices for kydex but no concealex????

Sent you an email.

I am going to have to try some Concealex.

From what I understand (talking with Tom Marringer and working for Bob Dozier) a guy from Springdale Arkansas named Jerry Price was the first to use kydex as a sheath material, molding it to the knife.

Tom and Bob picked it up from there.

Thats what I recall from my conversations anyway.

Tom

Yep. Marringer was one of the first I knew of.

Back