www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Which do you prefer?

Or does it depend on the knife?

Thanks for taking time to answer!

:thumbup:

Dan

Depends of a lot of things.

Of course depend of the knife, but it depends of the sheath too. Some leather sheath are really cool, but some other... not so.

Depends also of what the knife is for.

I know, I'm not helping a lot, sorry.

Kydex has it's uses.
If it's well made the knife isn't going anywhere unless it's really yanked hard out of it's sheath. It needs minimal maintnence. Won't rot due to moisture or chemicals.
But it's noisey , will scratch the blade and bulky with a tec-lok, plus it's just not visually apealling.

Leather is softer/quieter to the touch, if well made will mold to the knife and hold it securely enough for most edc uses. Leather scars and scuffs, some chemicals will degrade it.
But a well made sheath is a piece of art all on it's own.
I've never been in awe of a kydex sheath no matter how well it fit the knife.

Preference: Leather

For smaller edc knives in the city it's hard to beat kydex just for being more streamlined. Less bulk and zero maintenace.

For bigger knives or even smaller knives that are worn while hunting/fishing/hiking leather just looks better.

my 2 cents...

Kydex is nice for a no-frills sheath, but gets bulky with the tek-lok.

but a bad leather sheath can be uglier than the fugliest peice of black plastic.

It also depends on the knife.

Kydex with a clip (not Tec-lok) for ease of carry.
Leather for looks and smell and feel.

I really like kydex for sheathing a knife that rides in a pack or a bag.

If its going to be on my belt, I generally like leather, largely because most kydex sheaths seem to ride way too high above the belt line.

I agree too with what was said above, leather sheaths can be beautiful, and can gain character with age.

All in all, I'd have to say leather.

i like leather on nice customs and kydex on daily users or edc's.....i live in a city so i can't have a big honkin sheath hanging down on my belt.....so i need kydex horizontal carry on my belt....very convenient and no need for straps or snaps.....nothing nicer than a carved leather sheath for a custom bowie though.....ryan

For me, it depends on the knife and how it will be carried. On EDCs, that I am going to carry close to my body, I prefer Kydex because in South Texas the perspiration would likely ruin a nice leather sheath. Also, and I'm not stroking you here Dan, I think the Kydex sheath you provided with my K3 is great. I can't say that about all Kydex sheath makers.

For knives I might carry in the woods, I'd opt for leather or nylon.

Hope that helps.

Bill

Depends on the knife, where and what that knife will be doing, and where I will be when I carry said knife. Seems that all my "combat" blades (Those that I have carried (K3) and will carry into a combat zone) wear kydex. All my hunting blades wear leather. And others wear wood and leather. (Most of my HI blades)

Bill

Leather for me. It's just more aesthetically pleasing. A good leather sheath can really compliment a beautiful knife.

I do like kydex for outdoor knives where rain could ruin leather. I don't like how kydex sheathes scratch up the knives they hold.

I'm becoming more of a fan of Kydex, but I will always prefer leather in general b/c it seems to be easier on the edge.

I have a kydex sheath that came with one of my knifes that the edge digs into every time I put it away.

Kydex is great, if the edge and seam join together like this:

_____ \
------- /

Instead of like this:

---------]

If that makes sense. I don't mind kydex when the seam and edge line up so the edge doesn't touch the kydex, but I hate it when the edge and kydex meet.

Back