Kydex scratches

LEGION 12

Gold Member
Hi my first post in sheath at least i think it is got a kydex sheath mode for a bowie i have like it seems to fit well but it scratces the blade every time i use it. I know that minor scuffs and scratches are to be expected with this kind of sheath but these are deep enough that i dont want to use it . Tried rinsing with water thinking it wasnt cleaned when it was made but that doesnt seem to help at all . Is there something else i can do to fix this or should i just stop useing it ? Wasnt made by anybody here that is probably why this is happening another lesson learned . Thank for any advise Rich

This is pretty typical of Kydex in my experience. Sooner or later the inside gets contaminated with grit and if it is tight fitting the blade will get scratched. You can try padding the blade with a few layers of masking tape and putting it into the sheath, then carefully heat the back with a heat gun until it stretches to the new dimension. This will create a little bit of standoff and cause less scratching, but I like to leave a tight spot near the tip to keep the blade from rattling. Kydex is really best for working knives and if you are concerned with preserving the finish of the blade leather is a better option.

Hey Legion...

If you want..

Lay 5-6 layers of masking tape on the blade, cut to shape,, heat the sheath up so it's fairly warm,, not hot and floppy,, then insert the knife.. Allow to cool..

This should have stretched it a little..

Kydex itself won't scratch,, it that Shyte caught inside of the sheath,, that causes the scratching..

sometimes it's unavoidable...

Hope that helps..

ttyle

Eric
O/ST

Thanks guys i will try the tape and heat it had to be from the guy who made it never left the house with this sheath i do have a leather sheath also just not in that great of shape .

Back