kydex shaping foam

What is the stuff you use to squish kydex after it's been heated up? the tutorial says "sleeping mat" but is this really high density foam rubber?

you can get some special foam from Blade-tech....however the stuff I usein the tutorial is regular sleeping mat from a sportssupply.

Hey Guys....

What you are looking for is 1/2" closed cell foam on a roll.. Blue sleeping pad foam is perfect for this...

Sure you can use the stuff from blade-tech,, its Great stuff,, but its not needed..Unless you are going into full production, the molding foam from BT is a waste of money...

sleeping pad foam is cheap,easy to find, and if you use it properly, you can get decent mileage out of it...

Cut it to size, laminate it with some cheapo spray adhesive and your in business...

ttyle

Eric...

If you look in the gardening section of your hardware store you should see some light green, 1 inch thick foam pads. They sell for about 6 bucks CDN. They are a little bit denser than the blue stuff. I've found I can get a much crisper mold with these. As an example, when I made a sheath for a cordwrapped piece, after I was done, you could plainly see the outline of the menuki in the plastic.

Hugh

Hey 3/16ths...

Yaaa the kneeling pads will work..There are however a few problems with using it...

1 it's Very expensive compared to sleeping pad foam
2 the texture on some that I've seen may impart a print onto the sheath after pressing...

It will however work if nothing else is available,,and is a decent Plan B..

ttyle

Eric...

Hey Normark! There is no doubt that it costs more but when you are an independently wealthy knifemaker like myself (as if) price is no option. The patterned foam leaves no impression. It is slightly denser than the plain green and doesn't last as long. It will eventually start staying compressed after you release the pressure.

Hugh

Any of you folks tried carving a pattern into the foam you're using to press the kydex? If you cut it deep and sharp enough, would it be visible in the kydex?

Sheffield sells the stuff (PVC sponge, they call it - page 65). I think its something like 8 bucks per sq. ft.. That's what I was going to order when I order the Kydex.

Anyone tried theirs???? Otherwise I guess I'll just make a trip to the old K-Mart.

Sure have RL. It's great stuff!
It's also so thick, 4" is what I got, that you can slice it in half on a bansaw and it still works fine. I glued a piece of 1/8" 304 stainless to a 4 by 8 section of the foam after I cut it to 2" thick. For pressing my kydex I use a sheet of clean rubber on a board to lay the sheath and knife on, then lay the foam on top when the kydex is ready to form and clamp it down with a pair of welder's vice grips. Nice and simple and it works great.

Hey L6...

How long has the foam or rubber been lasting for you ??

Hey about imparting a pattern on purpose onto the sheath..

I tried it last night...

I found a picture of you on the net, and pressed it onto one of my sheaths,,,but it turned out too damn butt ugly..:)

Just play'n with ya Mike..:)

ttyle

Eric....

Lmao Eric! I'm suprised the kydex didn't get up and run away! :D

I've been using the same section of the foam since I started making kydex sheaths. Probably made 50 or 60 of em with it so far and it shows now wear.

I'm sure you can use it full thickness RL. I cut mine down mostly so I could get my vice grips around it .

Back