kydex sheath with no fasteners

what is the best?

• PVC contact cement

• gorilla glue

• another kind of super glue

Results are only viewable after voting.
So recently I have just started thinking about sheaths for my custom knives and I bought some .080 kydex, eyelets and a setting tool that I thought would work from Amazon. tunes out the tools anvil is specialty made for the specific eyelets for that brand. I live in Canada so ordering stuff from the states can be troublesome at times with the shipping cost from knifekits.com and other knifemaking supply stores. So for the meantime without being able to use eyelets what could I use for an adhesive or another way to fasten the two pieces of kydex together. I have heard of using PVC cement, gorilla glue and other super glues. Just want some input on what's the best for a tighter budget.

Do a taco sheath and use some pan head torx or allen head bolts 6-32 with nuts for fastners

or

Use some stainless pin material and dome the heads for to fasten

I tried the PFC contact cement

It will squeeze out where you don't want it to.

It's not really glue, you dissolve the materials to fuse them - it's too variable

Try the chainring sexbolts and rubber washers they kydex folks sell.

As a side question: What's average duty on a $100USD/$130CAD purchase? (now back to your regularly scheduled question :D)

Cheers

"Joe Watson has made Kydex taco sheaths with the edge folded over and no eyelets."

I have seen them made that way. They were secure. It looked like the taco was off-set with one side about 1/2 " longer.

I suspect the extra was first rolled over the seam and clamped down flat between metal plates. Then the kydex was warmed again to fit to the knife, and pressed in the foam press.

I use black "chicago screws" on my kydex sheaths. They can be completely disassembled for easy clean out.
I have looked at Chicago screws before but I either can't find them locally or I can't find decently priced ones from Amazon ( i have looked on knifekits.com but once again, the $60 shipping!)

Import duty - The fees/taxes imposed on good people take across borders.

It depends on the items and the total value. Right now, it is hard to figure with Mr. Trump messing with things.
The best thing would be to call the customs office or go on their website.

I would not glue it, use some kind of fastener. I have been considering chain ring bolts my self for my more “higher end” larger knives.

Back