Kydex Sheaths

Owners of newer Busse knives- Do you like the Kydex? I realize personal preference comes to bear here but I am thinking of function. My Steel Heart came with a nylon sheath that has a plastic insert. Holds the knife well, but is kind of slow to release and re-sheath with its paracord wrap around and snap. Would the new Kydex fit my knife and does Busse sell them separately? DaveAZ

I love my new Busse knives, but I'm not impressed at all by the Kydex sheaths. Andy posted a while back about newer sheaths. Personally, I prefer leather. I'd like to know if Kydex or leather sheaths will be available for seperate purchase and whether they have to be fitted/formed to the individual knife. I'd hate to risk shipping my knives. I already lost two to the Post Office.

I think leather often looks better, perhaps fits better, but it's kydex for me. No matter what you do, you can't truly water-proof leather and leather isn't as resistant to abrasions as kydex is. Also, on more than one occasion I've cut a leather sheath while returning the blade. It's not an issue with kydex. I'm not the kind of guy that demands tough materials because I'm a tough guy, it's because I'm very likely to drop the sheath off the side of a mountain or fall into a swamp
smile.gif

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

I prefer Kydex over all other material currently available. I've had Kydex for years and its functional, durable, and efficient. Busse's webbing and snaps are excellent. Scott

Johan, those abrasions and other signs of age and wear are what give a leather sheath character, to match the signs of age and wear on the owner
smile.gif
Re cutting the sheath, that's what a wood lining is for, plus insulating the blade against corrosion and leeching from the leather. Plus, leather can be patched or repaired in the field; kydex is harder in that respect; or is it? I've never tried it. Kydex can be nice, I'll admit, but leather conjures up an image of old timey craftsmanship and the smell of natural material... Chacun son gout.

Make mine Kydex
biggrin.gif

1 Corinthians 1:18 - For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

[This message has been edited by volvi (edited 02-07-2000).]

I guess I'll have to chime in here on the side of kydex. It just seems to work better for me, and has proven a bit more durable than some of the leather sheaths I've owned, but that's just my own experience. I'm not one of those ninja-commandos who needs silent, stealthy knife unsheathing.
wink.gif

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

Originally posted by HJK:
Johan, those abrasions and other signs of age and wear are what give a leather sheath character, to match the signs of age and wear on the owner
smile.gif

Speak for yourself HJK, I'm young and vibrant!
wink.gif

------------------
"Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heav'n"
John Milton
There are only two types of people; those who understand this, and those who think they do.

I'm old and decrepit, but that's a secret: don't tell anyone. Oops.

This seems like an opportunity to mention the following...

Busse Combat LOVES kydex...the switch in moving the standard sheath to leather was based on customer demand and tactical application (noise, resistance to heat/cold conditions, tried and true).

Kydex is planned to be an extra offering and will be available at a small additional cost. Leather is currently the standard sheath which will accompany each knife.

It should be noted that Chris Reeve Knives are still shipped in leather, as are Randalls...both very popular knives. Based on my understanding however, both makers are not offering a kydex sheath from the factory.

Busse's offering of both is not administratively easy, but sensitive to the customers needs.

------------------
Andy Prisco, Manager
Sharper Instinct, LLC
Phone: 1-201-493-2469
Orders-Toll Free: 1-877-557-5200
Visa & Mastercard Accepted

Authorized Dealers:
Busse Combat Knives and Big East Traditional Bows

Professional Shooting Svcs: Corporate Training and Stress Mgmt.

Andy, please extend our appreciation to Jerry and his posse for the option of both kinds of sheaths. I can't imagine what kind of PIA it must be to administrate both types of sheath, but it certainly does illustrate a committment and responsiveness to the customer to have the option.

First, a great line of knives, then this incredible INFI, then the Basics, followed by mutants, and now sheath options, these people are on a serious roll!

------------------
Don LeHue

Rome did not create a great empire by having meetings...they did it by killing all those who opposed them.

While I really like the nice wide belt loop and the firm grip that the Kydex sheath keeps on the Steel Heart, there's one nit I'd pick.

The folded-over belt loop on my SH sheath is fastened with only two of the rivets (which may prove to be enough strength-wise), then extends to within about 1/4" of the next two rivets. This leaves a squared off flap of Kydex that can catch on a pant leg as I walk.

Had the flap been made a tiny bit longer & attached to the second pair of rivets, it would not only have handily fastened down the end of this flap, but would have also provided the extra security of doubling the number of rivets holding the bottom of the belt loop closed.

I figure I'll drill a couple of holes spaced to catch that flap end, rivet & epoxy it to the back of the sheath, and probably radius the corners of the flap as well, to minimize snagging potential. I'll do it when I get the spare time.
wink.gif
Still, IMHO it would have been better to do at manufacture time since machines give a more consistent connection.

Have others seen this configuration on your sheaths and, if so, in the long run did it hold up okay for you?

Many TIA.

------------------
When a woman speaks, listen.
When she is silent, listen twice.

So. . . not too crazy about our kydex heh? Luckily we listen and respond despite the obvious costs invovled. The optional kydex we will be offering in the near future will be much nicer than our previous fare and will most certainly prove to be heavier duty. They are tight fitting in all of the right places but should not scratch the blade coating if a grain of sand gets imbedded inside the sheath. These new kydex sheaths are not available yet but you can rest assured that you'll be the first to know. We have plans for a second option as well but are in the process of working the bugs out.

Thanks for staying tuned, it just keeps getting more interesting.

Jerry Busse

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the open ear on the sheaths and thanks for a very sweet handling knife.

Best wishes to the Busse gang,
GregMal

Kydex is hi-tech, efficient and super tough and did I mentiontion I hate it. It is just like these new cars ...plastic. I like leather and when Andy mentioned the new SH will be in leather, I had to order it. Leather have been kinder to my blades ....when you use blades and frequently have to replace it covered in grit .....leather is king or queen ...depending on your orientation......

Leather has soul .......and what better than to sharpen the blade and treat the leather ......make mine leather any day !!!

Hummmm, now to wait for the Busse 2nd gen kydex to make their appearance or go with Livesay's kydex sheaths.

How much do you think the new sheath's will run, and any idea about how long untill production?????

It's such a win win situation when my 2 favorite knife makers have such interaction with us humble peons
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Does anyone know if Eagle Industries has made sheaths for any of the Busse line (mainly the BM)?...I know they state that they have many styles of knife sheaths available(or can customize). If so, how well do they fit and hold the knife? Though I guess I could call them and see for myself
wink.gif

On another note, what are experiences with using leather in wet environments. It can't be good?(partly why I envision the nylon route beneficial)

Strabs,

Eagle does, I believe, make a sheath for the Battle Mistress. They definitely have them for the rest of our combat line. We understand the desire for a ballistic nylon sheath and are working on one as an option at this point.

Jerry Busse

Back