Kydex substitution

Are there any other plastics that can be heated to replace kydex? Formica, clear plastics etc? Might be nice to practice on something else or made cheap kitchen knife blade protectors. I am a respiratory therapist in a hospital and had a patient that is messes up for life from heating PVC making those australian musical tubes, digeradoo<can't spell that one. Toxic fumes from heating the plastic. Loosearrow

Their is "Concealex" but it is a PVC/Acrylic blend and wouldn't help you.

I've known people that made some interesting sheaths from camo-ducktape! not bad looking and easy.

My best suggestion is to contact a sheath maker, like; http://rainwalker15.googlepages.com/index.html

he is a very nice guy and would answer your emails fast.

I just posted in another thread asking if detergent bottles couldn't be used as a substitute. :confused: Once I get my heat gun, I'll post results. :D

Jim L.

Are there any other plastics that can be heated to replace kydex? Formica, clear plastics etc? Might be nice to practice on something else or made cheap kitchen knife blade protectors. I am a respiratory therapist in a hospital and had a patient that is messes up for life from heating PVC making those australian musical tubes, digeradoo<can't spell that one. Toxic fumes from heating the plastic. Loosearrow

Kydex fumes and PVC are entirely different. To stand over burning plastic is a bit odd.

Kydex fumes and PVC are entirely different. To stand over burning plastic is a bit odd.

......"burning plastic" ?

This is from WIKIPEDIA:
Kydex is a line of thermoplastic acrylic-polyvinyl chloride alloy sheet grades. It is frequently used as an alternative to leather in the production of firearm holsters and sheaths for knives. Kydex Thermoplastic Sheet is a registered trademark of Kleerdex Company, LLC and is the only manufacturer of this line of proprietary thermoplastic sheet.

Maybe the outgassing of solvents when heating PVC and PVC alloys is a respiratory health concern.

From what I have read about it, kydex doesnt release toxic gasses untill its basically a puddle in the bottom of the oven. You have to really work to get it to do it.

To me its like using naugahyde as a leather substitute. :p

One problem with a mystery plastic is most of them turn to goo at very low temps, and fume badly.

PVC does emit toxic fumes. Kydex does not. Have no fear... :thumbup:;)

Loosearrow, I'm talking about heating to melting point, not to the burning point where fumes are created and released.

Besides that I do my work outside in good ventilation. I'm a respiratory Therapist aswell, and know about the need for good ventilation.

Jim L.

Well this wouldn't help you unless your hospital is doing some remodeling, but the plastic on the walls of most hospitals is a thermoplastic, and sometimes even kydex. They use it because it's easy to clean, doesn't hold germs, and has the same color throughout so scuffs don't show. Kind of the same reasons we use it!

Back