L6 VS 80crv2 VS 5160 For Katana

Id like to :) I am thinking of buying a forge
That's always fun and everyone starts somewhere. I would suggest you start with 1095. It's cheaper (your're gonna ruin a few) and much easier to work and more forgiving. If you are set on the three you mentioned go with 5160. I would also suggest you start with something smaller than a sword. And no a sword is not just a big knife.

That's always fun and everyone starts somewhere. I would suggest you start with 1095. It's cheaper (your're gonna ruin a few) and much easier to work and more forgiving. If you are set on the three you mentioned go with 5160. I would also suggest you start with something smaller than a sword. And no a sword is not just a big knife.
i agree, just gotta pool the cash lol im young

i always call them big knives XD your right they are more than that. I guess i say that just out of the fact the process is similar

and what about an anvil?
Find a piece of train track on ebay. Cheap and it works. If you have access to a junk yard, look around any kind of hardened heavy steel will do. I started with the Lively forge and a piece of RR track. In answer to your question the Lively forge is harder to work than propane, fire management etc, but start up costs are minimal. Don't neglect hammers. If you are going to forge your hammer is your best friend.

Back