La Griffe confiscated as a trench knife

Hi all,

Trying to import a La Griffe into Australia, it was confiscated by customs and deemed to be a trench knife :confused: :mad:

the relavent part of the law is:

"Trench knives or similar devices that consist of a single-edged or multi-edged blade or spike:
(a) fitted with a handle made of any hard substance that can be fitted over the knuckles of the hand of the user:
(i) to protect the knuckles; and
(ii) to increase the effect of a punch or blow; and
(b) made of any material; whether the device has been manufactured for those purposes or adapted for those purposes."

I called them for more info, and it seems they interprit one loop of metal etc covering one knuckle to be the same as 2, 3, or 4.

This I can "almost" understand.

The part I have a problem with is that standard brass knuckles and trench knives are effective because they transmit the impact of the punch to the recipient over a small area ( the brass bit near the knuckles ) but they spread the impact to the deliverer over a large area, that is padded and in line with the arm ( the meaty part of the palm ). I do not believe the La Griffe can do this.

My problem is that I have never seen or held the knife in real life and so am not in a good position to argue this point.

What would be nice, is if someone could tell me more about if its possible to use the La Griffe in this way, and also, a photo of a La Griffe being held correctly for use may help.

I think I can argue a good case but any ideas, photos, help would be much appreciated

Henri
( who is a bit embarressed at posting so little in so long )
:eek:

I have also posted this at the Emerson forum

Sounds like thry are describing "brass knuckles". The La Griffe is not used in this way. It is not used to protect the knuckles and it is not used to increase the effect of the punch or blow. It seems to me that they saw the finger hole and misinterpreted its purpose.

Back