Recommendation? Laguiole Knife

I am going to mention a rather common Laguiole knife failure that I have encountered.

For whatever reason, the French build a lot of knives where the edge or tip rests on the mainspring. This of course, dulls the edge or tip. All you have to do to test this, is grab the blade while it is closed in the handle and wiggle it. If it grinds, the tip or the edge is grinding itself dull on the mainspring.

Notice the bump on the spring?

the smart Laguiole knife makers have one of those on their mainspring, and if the thing is adjusted properly, (not a gimme!) that little bump touches the ricasso and keeps the edge elevated above the spring. Still, I want to warn, that edge is millimeters above the spring. If you snap the blade in the typical American fashion, literally pushing the blade over and letting the spring tension snap it closed, that will dull the edge on a Laguiole knife. The clearance between edge and mainspring is insufficient to prevent contact as the blade rebounds. The way to close a Laguiole knife is to hold the blade back, near the nail nick, between the thumb and forefinger and lower the blade till the thumb and forefinger bump the handle, and then release the blade. The blade will drop maybe 1/32” and that reduces the momentum enough that the edge won’t bounce off the mainspring.

It surprises me how many Laguiole knives I have, new and old, where I had to make a shim which rests under the ricasso, to keep the blade off the mainspring.

I do not own a modern Au Sabot where the edge does not rest on the mainspring. I am not buying anymore, but this is an example of how I “fixed” this problem

I88IiAT.jpg

G David knives are totally hit or miss whether the edge grinds against the mainspring. This one was rather unique with a pin to keep the blade elevated.

S4YHQrU.jpg

Even expensive Laguiole knives can have the edge/tip resting against the mainspring. I have one high dollar, rosewood handle, Claude Dozorme that I had to shim to keep the edge from dulling on the mainspring. I have two more Claude Dozorme knives that are properly fitted. All are the 12C27N blades, which means they are later production.

I will warn against the older 440 knives. If you happen to buy one of those, and the tip/edge does not grind itself against the mainspring, you have one rare knife. There is absolutely no evidence the French laguioles built in that period were made with any consideration of preventing edge damage due to contact with the mainspring. I recently purchased a Boar’s Head set of six 440 Laguiole knives, and the entire set has the tip, or the edge, in contact with the mainspring. Argh!

I can’t tell much of a difference in edge holding ability of the 440 (probably 440A) knives and the more recent, since the 1990’s recent, 12C27N blades. The earlier blades are hard and take a good edge.

This is a brand that has not disappointed me:

vqpWYtN.jpg

With none of my en Aubrac knives does the edge rest on the mainspring, and the knives are smooth in operation, with positive locking when open. I put this knife on a ruler to show that it’s blade is 10 cm, or four inches long. This is my preferred length of blade. The handle is 12 cm long. The French do not have a consistent way of describing the length. Some call their 10 cm bladed knives, 12cm knives. Fontenille Pataud calls their 10 cm bladed knives as 12 cm knives. Carefully look at the ads and figure out what dimension they are using to describe their knives.

This is a nine cm blade above an inch ruler.

mAzYfRg.jpg

This is a 12 cm bladed knife.

nP8Dttj.jpg

Vent d'Aubrac are good knives

YIwpuFG.jpg

b4ErIX0.jpg

Laguiole Honore Durand seems to have started in the 1990’s, all of the new and older Laguiole Honore Durand knives I own are smooth and well fitted

r0vXuEN.jpg

I have one bad Forge de Laguiole, where the edge rests on the mainspring. The rest have been OK.

GqB7DKV.jpg

I have four Fontenille Pataud knives, while they are not as highly polished as the above mentioned knives, they are smooth and well fitted and none of the edges of tips grind against the mainspring. My Laguiole Le Fidele have been satisfactory.

As a general rule, the less costly Laguiole such as G. David or Robert David cut just as well as the more expensive knives. You pay for the polishing. They are not as smooth in opening, may not have the high bolster and blade polish, and you will run into versions where the edge rests on the blade.

Shim making is hit or miss, I cut up sheet brass, and super glue on top of the mainspring. I have several Laguiole knives where the tip is above the handle as the super glue dried before I pushed the shim into perfect placement. I think I have thousandths of an inch in adjustment space to get the critical space just right. Shim making is an iterative and frustrating process, and I don’t know how long the glue will last. As long as the ricasso rests against the shim, it ain’t moving. But I fear, one day, the blade will be open and a shim will fall out.

Fancy handle materials, such as agate, mammoth tooth (I do want one, they are just too expensive!), etc, will drive costs. A horn handled knife will cut just as well as a mammoth handled one. The fancy filed liners look great, don’t do anything in terms of edge retention or cutting ability. They just look great, and cost great. I am not paying the huge cost for Damascus steel blades. Can't tell much of a difference between 14C28N and 12C27N steels, they all take a good edge and cut food. I am not, to repeat not, battoning my laguiole knives or using them to cut brick, antlers, or chop trees, which all the cool kids do with their knives.

Personally, I like snakewood, I like the red and the snake hide wood patterns. When I get French walnut slabs, which look dusty, dirt, brown, I slather on some reddish wood dye to redden them up. I have not been impressed by the appearance of European walnut. None of my Laguiole wood handled knives were coated with varnish, so I end up varnishing the wood to keep it from bleaching. Just pick what you think you will like, the knife in the picture will not be the one you get.

The only Laguiole I own, a Fontenille Pataud in Desert Ironwood and stainless. 10cm closed, 9cm blade length. F&F and W&T are really dang nice, no blade rap, nice and slicey and stabby. Beautiful knife, especially the Ironwood IMHO (but I am a bit biased).
original.jpg

original.jpg

edit - forgot to show the file/ scroll work on the back spring space, recycled image from earlier this year.
original.jpg

Last edited:
The only Laguiole I own, a Fontenille Pataud in Desert Ironwood and stainless. 10cm closed, 9cm blade length. F&F and W&T are really dang nice, no blade rap, nice and slicey and stabby. Beautiful knife, especially the Ironwood IMHO (but I am a bit biased).
original.jpg

original.jpg

edit - forgot to show the file/ scroll work on the back spring space, recycled image from earlier this year.
original.jpg

Beautiful knife. It looks more polished than what you usually see from FP. Did you ask for that specifically?

Beautiful knife. It looks more polished than what you usually see from FP. Did you ask for that specifically?

Thanks. Several of the knives at the importer's site had the mirror finish. Not sure if it was a request from them when they ordered from FP. I usually prefer a satin finish, but I think the mirror finish works on this one.

@ shane shane If I were you I'd go and check the many manufacturers / assemblers, you should find easily for a reasonable price.

H helobite
For whatever reason, the French build a lot of knives where the edge or tip rests on the mainspring.
There is absolutely no evidence the French laguioles built in that period were made with any consideration of preventing edge damage due to contact with the mainspring.

One is because this prevents from getting a proud tip after many years of use.

This of course, dulls the edge or tip. Only if you snap it .
Snapping a blade in public will make every body raise an eyebrow. This is basic, si fueris Romae, Romano vivito more.
Further, snapping closed a 7 or 8cm blade is possible, but what about a 13cm or more blade! May I remind you that this was a valued marriage gift, and such knives were often 30cm or more long...

I cut up sheet brass, and super glue on top of the mainspring.
Old peasant used to put a bit of matchstick. @WillPower uses a bit of cork.
I'm not particularly fond of Laguioles, not my prefered pattern, for a long time I had just this one, there's a well in the spring...
Lag2.jpg

When choosing a knife, check two things :
1st : poncetage, by carefully pushing the tip of the closed blade to check a kind of spring reaction. When the blade does not move, I know I must close the blade with two hands. (anyway I always do)
2nd : a Lag has to open like a breeze and be the dickens to close...

One is because this prevents from getting a proud tip after many years of use.

I don't know how use will push the tip above the handle sides. If anything, material removed from the edge or tip due to sharpening will simply shift where the edge contacts the mainspring.

this Case Congress is a well designed knife.

oDwsSXo.jpg

the ricasso's are deliberately designed and fabricated so the blades can be closed with full mainspring tension. All I have to do is push the blade past the topple point, the blade closes with a snap, and the edge does not contact the mainspring.

I think it is nuts to design and build self dulling knives.

H helobite An interesting and exhaustive study you've made, very nice knives you show. But I rather think it's a flawed one. You say it's "nuts to design & build self dulling knives" No, it's nuts to close them improperly 🤣 It's rather like trying to drive a manual gearbox car as an automatic- why are the gears grinding so horribly everytime I try to put it in gear and why is it so slow??? Because you need to use a clutch to change gear;) Same with most French knives, they don't like being slammed shut, so don't, just ease them back. Etiquette too in its country of origin, finesse.

Of course you might slip, occasionally, so then it's good to have something in the well- bit of wood, matchstick, or as Jolipapa Jolipapa pointed out, I opt for a cork shim. You go to the lengths of glueing in a piece of brass, fine solution if you must. Fontenille-Pataud and other European makers use stop-pins for those who must let their knives slam shut. As for the CASE Congress, well it's an ingenious pattern made largely to show off a cutler's fancy. It is not a popular or indeed useful pattern either, it appeared long after any Laguiole and it is now just a kind of whimsy. So many of us cut plug tobacco these days and why the blade duplication? Nothing wrong with liking the pattern or collecting it but user? Whereas when I want to cut fruit, hard sausage, cheeses, slice open large rolls or bread a Laguiole will do it effortlessly, I can find no better knife in the hand personally and this might be one reason it has endured & flourished. I don't mind the small effort of closing it properly, got a shed full of knives I can slam shut if I want the thrill of the snap.

Thanks, Will

No, it's nuts to close them improperly 🤣 Same with most French knives, they don't like being slammed shut, so don't, just ease them back. Etiquette too in its country of origin, finesse.

Of course you might slip, occasionally, so then it's good to have something in the well- bit of wood, matchstick, or as Jolipapa Jolipapa pointed out, I opt for a cork shim. I don't mind the small effort of closing it properly, got a shed full of knives I can slam shut if I want the thrill of the snap.

Thanks, Will
Will, I hope you don't mind that I shrank your wonderful comments back to what I consider the most succinct statements. When I think of anything French, I think of not only quality, but a high regard to their tradition. This is why we have 'Champagne' vs Sparkling Wine, etc. and so forth.

The etiquette of France is that the knife be lowered gently, so it logically follows they be designed this way, or maybe it was the other way around? Necessity follows design?

I don't understand why anyone would think that the design of the blade resting on the spring would NOT extend the life of the knife. Fairly obvious to me.... Who wants to grind the spine of the blade down to remain seated in the handle? Likely, this is the reason for antique designs such as the Capucin, the curve of the handle to provide a place for the blade tip to remain covered. Surely we have seen more than enough spring knives with insanely proud tips from years of sharpening?

Another nagging point I have noticed is that knife people of the older generation I have come across instinctively lower the blades closed gently. The slamming shut seems to be a younger generational thing to me. To me, the 'snap' part of walk and talk is upon the knife opening, not shut.

I don't know how use will push the tip above the handle sides. If anything, material removed from the edge or tip due to sharpening will simply shift where the edge contacts the mainspring.

this Case Congress is a well designed knife.

oDwsSXo.jpg

the ricasso's are deliberately designed and fabricated so the blades can be closed with full mainspring tension. All I have to do is push the blade past the topple point, the blade closes with a snap, and the edge does not contact the mainspring.

I think it is nuts to design and build self dulling knives.
OK Dude, Nuts since 18... and proud to be. And a bit tired of reading urban legends... Have a nice week end!

Thank you for this thread, some good information. I found this G. David Arbalete in a flea market. The tip of the blade hits the main spring almost at the tip, as you can see by the brighter 'rectangle' shape. I do open and close it carefully.
Qi10iKl.jpg

D8oHS8Q.jpg

Earlier on there was discussion on F-P's finishes. When I got this XS 9cm locking Lag back in around 2014 you could choose between polished-matte (crocus/glaze) On this one polished was chosen but after a while I took paper to the blade and made it glaze, it was a fingerprint hell...and scratches show too. Kind of like the polish on the filework / bolster though.

haPKdQ3.jpg

Thank you for this thread, some good information. I found this G. David Arbalete in a flea market. The tip of the blade hits the main spring almost at the tip, as you can see by the brighter 'rectangle' shape. I do open and close it carefully.
Qi10iKl.jpg

D8oHS8Q.jpg

You should be very happy: the promoters of dull tips and dull edges claim edge and tip contact with the mainspring is a good thing. Feeling happy?

If the tip rests on the mainspring, you can resharpen it, but it will again dull. This is inevitable, you will never be able to keep the tip sharp.

Beautiful Will Power Will Power . I have one with similar guillochage. I can't decide if I like the really ornate filework like that or if I prefer something simpler. Perhaps my favorite example out of the knives I own is this one.

52023518415_1f8cc2403e_c.jpg

It brings to mind a bee's flight.

Whatever pattern is used, I appreciate the artistry and skill.

Last edited:
Back