Lame Message Limits with Paid Membership

Chronovore

Gold Member
It's 2021. Why are there such restrictive limits on private messages with the paid memberships?

My Basic Membership just lapsed. I'd already been annoyed about the "5 conversations, 15 total messages" limit. That is very easy to hit, especially if you are getting a custom knife designed by someone here. When I got the notification to renew membership, I looked at the Gold Level. For $30 per year, I suppose I could upgrade to "100 conversations, 250 total messages"... It just got me thinking about how out of place limits like this feel in 2021.

It's a bit like how Leatherman still puts a 420HC blade on $100 multi-tools...

The issue is, I don't want to delete them.

I can't tell you how many knives, deals, conversations I want to reach out to the other side/party, but have had to delete the conversations to make room, so they just dissappear...

Especially for people who have given me knives etc...the conversations have to go so somw one can message me to take a knife, etc.

Fair enough, I'd also like to not delete anything either.. However, not likely to change from what I've seen.

One suggestion would be to print/'save to PDF' the conversation if you want a record, prior to leaving the conversation. I'll sometimes do this to remind me of the good/bad in my conversations. Hope that helps.

It's 2021. Why are there such restrictive limits on private messages with the paid memberships?

My Basic Membership just lapsed. I'd already been annoyed about the "5 conversations, 15 total messages" limit. That is very easy to hit, especially if you are getting a custom knife designed by someone here. When I got the notification to renew membership, I looked at the Gold Level. For $30 per year, I suppose I could upgrade to "100 conversations, 250 total messages"... It just got me thinking about how out of place limits like this feel in 2021.

It's a bit like how Leatherman still puts a 420HC blade on $100 multi-tools...
Why are nicer things that I want more expensive?

I mean, are you seriously asking this? And I don't mind good old 420HC on my many leathermans.

Besides the suggestions above, screenshots are the wave of the future my man. Or shell out the extra $20 (?). With custom knife money rolling around in your pocket, you should probably be able to afford a gold membership. If not, might want to rethink your priorities in even getting a custom knife, let alone a gold membership. If times are that tight and all...

Last edited:
Why are nicer things that I want more expensive?

I mean, are you seriously asking this? And I don't mind good old 420HC on my man leathermans.

Besides the suggestions above, screenshots are the wave of the future my man. Or shell out the extra $20 (?). With custom knife money rolling around in your pocket, you should probably be able to afford a gold membership. If not, might want to rethink your priorities in even getting a custom knife, let alone a gold membership. If times are that tight and all...

Cost considerations don't happen in a bubble or just relative to what you have in your wallet. They happen relative to the economy and current norms.

For instance, 8Cr13Mov felt like a good deal back when Kershaw was still using AUS-6 in budget knives. Now that similarly priced budget knives have become increasingly available in 12C27, 14C28N, Acuto 440, 9Cr18Mov, D2, etc.; 8Cr13Mov has gotten harder to justify at $30 and becomes an increasingly worse deal as the price goes up.

Sure, steels like 420, 5Cr15, AUS-6, etc. can still work. They are just way down near the bottom of the barrel in terms of relative value. The "curve of diminishing returns" works oppositely down there, wherein huge performance upgrades can be achieved for a very small increase in cost. In that context, companies like Gerber and Leatherman are way behind the times on blade steel for most of their multi-tools.

The point is that Blade Forums is way behind the times on message limits in 2021. How much data does the average private message here actually use? Compare that to the storage space or message limits on other services. For instance, the Spyderco Forum and Firing Line Forums offer 100 and 300 messages respectively, and that's with a free membership. Forget about free email providers and the 15GB you get with Gmail. It is in this context that 15 private messages with any level of paid membership is conclusively lame.

Cost considerations don't happen in a bubble or just relative to what you have in your wallet. They happen relative to the economy and current norms.

For instance, 8Cr13Mov felt like a good deal back when Kershaw was still using AUS-6 in budget knives. Now that similarly priced budget knives have become increasingly available in 12C27, 14C28N, Acuto 440, 9Cr18Mov, D2, etc.; 8Cr13Mov has gotten harder to justify at $30 and becomes an increasingly worse deal as the price goes up.

Sure, steels like 420, 5Cr15, AUS-6, etc. can still work. They are just way down near the bottom of the barrel in terms of relative value. The "curve of diminishing returns" works oppositely down there, wherein huge performance upgrades can be achieved for a very small increase in cost. In that context, companies like Gerber and Leatherman are way behind the times on blade steel for most of their multi-tools.

The point is that Blade Forums is way behind the times on message limits in 2021. How much data does the average private message here actually use? Compare that to the storage space or message limits on other services. For instance, the Spyderco Forum and Firing Line Forums offer 100 and 300 messages respectively, and that's with a free membership. Forget about free email providers and the 15GB you get with Gmail. It is in this context that 15 private messages with any level of paid membership is conclusively lame.
Feel free to spend your time at those other none-lame places rather than bladeforums.

Feel free to spend your time at those other none-lame places rather than bladeforums.

I didn't say that Blade Forums is lame. I said that the message limits are lame. I also explained how and why that is. Do you disagree with my reasoning? I mean, if you disagree but don't have a counterargument, I'm sure a garbage post telling me to get lost is a boon to the community here.

I actually do spend time on other forums. It's not a "rather". I'll continue to spend time here. This just factors into my decision of whether or not to re-up my paid membership.

I didn't say that Blade Forums is lame. I said that the message limits are lame. I also explained how and why that is. Do you disagree with my reasoning? I mean, if you disagree but don't have a counterargument, I'm sure a garbage post telling me to get lost is a boon to the community here.

I actually do spend time on other forums. It's not a "rather". I'll continue to spend time here. This just factors into my decision of whether or not to re-up my paid membership.
Garbage post? Like you soap boxing about budget steel while complaining you are too cheap to afford some more messages. It's another twenty bucks for a year, bro. Come on.

In that context, companies like Gerber and Leatherman are way behind the times on blade steel for most of their multi-tools.
In comparison to what? Other multitool manufacturers?

I'd say, of all the multitools recently produced, having a 420hc blade would put a tool near the top of the multitool blade steel list. IE, most multitools don't have blade steel as good as 420hc. It's actually pretty good for a multitool considering most tools are cheap Chinese garbage.

Garbage post? Like you soap boxing about budget steel while complaining you are too cheap to afford some more messages. It's another twenty bucks for a year, bro. Come on.

This one is garbage too. The basis for your second sentence is already invalid via post #8. Looking at the stats given in post #1, it takes $30 here to get something that is available for free elsewhere. Again, the issue is how absurdly low the private message cap per paid membership level is here relative to the cost of data and what is available on other hobby forums, services, social media platforms, etc.

In comparison to what? Other multitool manufacturers?

I'd say, of all the multitools recently produced, having a 420hc blade would put a tool near the top of the multitool blade steel list. IE, most multitools don't have blade steel as good as 420hc. It's actually pretty good for a multitool considering most tools are cheap Chinese garbage...

This one is valid. The revolution in budget knife steel has yet to reach the multi-tool market. There are a few premium Leatherman multi-tools that use 154cm or S30V. However, the pliers-based multi-tools I've seen under $100 use 420HC, 420, 7Cr17Mov and lower members of that series. All of those blade steels feel lame relative to the current knife market.

Looking at knife-based multi-tools, Leatherman uses 420HC there too with models priced between $40 and $100. Boker and Ruike have more affordable models in 12C27, which is a step in the right direction.

I have a bunch of budget knives in better steel that can cut circles around Leatherman's 420HC. So in a $100 multi-tool, the relatively low performance of that blade steel really stands out. At least for me, it makes the plain-edge knife feel superfluous on most multi-tools. (Coincidentally, I'm carrying a serrated-only Swiss Tool alongside a folder in 154cm today.) It mirrors the way that such a low message cap stands out in 2021, and how I end up having to use outside email to communicate directly with members here.

This one is garbage too. The basis for your second sentence is already invalid via post #8. Looking at the stats given in post #1, it takes $30 here to get something that is available for free elsewhere. Again, the issue is how absurdly low the private message cap per paid membership level is here relative to the cost of data and what is available on other hobby forums, services, social media platforms, etc.

This one is valid. The revolution in budget knife steel has yet to reach the multi-tool market. There are a few premium Leatherman multi-tools that use 154cm or S30V. However, the pliers-based multi-tools I've seen under $100 use 420HC, 420, 7Cr17Mov and lower members of that series. All of those blade steels feel lame relative to the current knife market.

Looking at knife-based multi-tools, Leatherman uses 420HC there too with models priced between $40 and $100. Boker and Ruike have more affordable models in 12C27, which is a step in the right direction.

I have a bunch of budget knives in better steel that can cut circles around Leatherman's 420HC. So in a $100 multi-tool, the relatively low performance of that blade steel really stands out. At least for me, it makes the plain-edge knife feel superfluous on most multi-tools. (Coincidentally, I'm carrying a serrated-only Swiss Tool alongside a folder in 154cm today.) It mirrors the way that such a low message cap stands out in 2021, and how I end up having to use outside email to communicate directly with members here.
:rolleyes:

BF uses a lot of storage, which costs money, which the people who use it should pay for.
Right. People who want more services are going to have to pay for them. How this concept is lost on some is hard to understand.

Last edited:
...it takes $30 here to get something that is available for free elsewhere. Again, the issue is how absurdly low the private message cap per paid membership level is here relative to the cost of data and what is available on other hobby forums, services, social media platforms, etc ....
"If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold."

Did this dude REALLY just try the "Well, OTHER places are doing it, so this place should be too!!" approach? Well, then feel free to head out, my guy!! Criminy. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

How many members does the Spyderco forum have compared to BF? Also, given how many times Spark Spark has had to upgrade the storage limits on BF due to all of us posting up pics, and so forth, it's odd that you think you're qualified to speak to this site's storage capacity.

Back