Lansky turnbox — recently lower quality?

About 5(?) years ago I noticed the Lansky turnbox had been redesigned. The base is a different looking “wood,” and the lettering/text on the top is different.

I used to recommend these to beginning sharpeners who needed something small and portable.

However, in addition to the more cosmetic features, the overall quality seems much worse. I am wondering if this is still the case or the example I saw was an exception in these regards:

The worst problem is that the medium and fine rods are indistinguishable. In fact, with my eyes closed, I would pick the brown rods as being smoother and finer. (Neither pair really feels fine.)

The door on the end of the base does not come close to shutting securely. It appears the screw is loose. However, after tightening the screw, it still revolves 360 degrees freely. This makes it very easy for the rods to fall out.

The angled holes are much too large producing a lot of play in the rod angle.

Has anyone else noticed these or other problems? Especially the consistency and texture of the rods?

Mine was made in USA and has none of these issues. The newer one was assembled in the USA.

Back