Lanyard hole in Buck 110?

There are many times when a lanyard hole might come in handy, but unlike similar knives, such as the Kershaw Wildcat Ridge, the Buck 110 has no lanyard hole.

Is there a preferred spot to drill a lanyard hole? Can it be had as an option from the Buck custom shop?

I long for the same thing, but I haven't dared (yet) to do it for one of mine. The Custom Shoppe would offer such a feature if I had my way. If you're bold enough to try it for yourself, check out a Bucklite model 426, the late lamented "modernized" version of the 110. It has a lanyard hole in the heel, just below the lock. Post a picture if you successfully go for it.

Before you drill anything, open the blade and look between the slabs at the rear of of the handle. There you'll see where the spring for the lock bar enters the rear spacer. I think it would be easy to drill through the handle anywhere in the back w/o much trouble, as long as you stay away from the spring end (and the 2 pins holding it all together of course).

I have searched and found this post and I believe there are others on this topic.

Here is the post:

I know it can be done, but it better by done by someone familiar with the knife. This kind of work will void the warrantee though so keep that in mind.
We have gotten a few 110's in here at Buck over the years and an attempt at a lanyard hole ruined the action of the knife.
Buck Collectors club Administrator and member #123

I wonder how it would work if the one of the solid pins on the rear of the handle were removed, the hole enlarged just a tad, and it was replaced with a tube/hollow rivet with peened/rolled ends?

Another option could be to drill a hole in the rear of one of the brass bolsters lengthwise (never having to penetrate the knife from side to side), thread it, and put in a stainless screw, head facing the rear of the knife so that it did not interfere with the grip of the knife. The head of the screw, could have a hole drilled in it for a stainless steel split ring, much like a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife.

Too bad they no longer make the Buck 110 with titanium handles as this. IMHO, the optimum Buck 110 would be one with the old titanium handles or a simliar adonized alloy handle with a S30V blade, provision for a lanyard, and maybe with something to assist one handed opening.

Back