Recommendation? Lanyard hole rivet repair advice please!

scdub

Gold Member
Basic Member
Hi All,
I purchased my Gen 2 Taliwhacker second-hand. When I received it I noticed that the very end of the tip was broken off, but that didn’t bother me too much and I sharpened it out.
Several months later after using the knife a few times I noticed a click in the handle when chopping.
I eventually figured out that the brass(?) lanyard hole rivet/grommet is slightly loose, and the tang is ticking against it. I suspect now that the first owner probably threw the knife, which would explain the tick and the broken tip.
Ok so here’s my question: How would you go about trying to fix this? I know it doesn’t affect performance but this is still my favorite and most-used Swamp Rat and the ticking bugs me…
Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows how much pressure might be involved in spreading out this rivet. Will it require a press (which I don’t own) or could I make due somehow with a vice or “bottle jack” (which I do)?
26DB6891-C554-4D7A-A7A9-73ED5B5958F5.jpeg

Nothing to worry about here. Contact the shop, and I’m certain they will be more than happy to help sort it out for you. Here’s a link to a sticky thread from Jerry with some contact info. Be sure to take some before and after pics. ;)

Edit : That thread seems to be about people complaining without giving the shop a chance to fix it first. I did not mean to imply that’s what you’re doing, because it’s not. Just sharing the contact info from the man himself.

You could send it in, as suggested, or you could flare the tube some more to secure it, or you can remove the tube and replace it with something else like a set of countersunk sex bolt / barrel nut, etc.

Send it in, preferrably.

Then again, do you need the lanyard ? Otherwise you could just put in screws and a standoff.

Thanks guys - yeah I suppose maybe sending it in is the smartest idea, I was just thinking it might be something I could fix with a few hammer taps or a squeeze from my drill press, etc. I’ll see if this post generates any other fix ideas and if not I’ll contact the Swamp…

And yeah I’m looking to just flare the tube out a bit more. I do use a lanyard sometimes so I don’t want to lose the hole…

Last edited:
Thanks guys - yeah I suppose maybe sending it in is the smartest idea, I was just thinking it might be something I could fix with a few hammer taps or a squeeze from my drill press, etc. I’ll see if this post generates any other fix ideas and if not I’ll contact the Swamp…

And yeah I’m looking to just flare the tube out a bit more. I do use a lanyard sometimes so I don’t want to lose the hole…
I seriously doubt you'd "lose the hole".

(Edit) Unless you meant blocking it with a nut. I'm kinda slow and waking up.

They would take the rivet out and put a new one in. You already ground the chip out the tip.

They would only have to sharpen it then.. or maybe not if you prefer to do that yourself.

I seriously doubt you'd "lose the hole".

(Edit) Unless you meant blocking it with a nut. I'm kinda slow and waking up.

They would take the rivet out and put a new one in. You already ground the chip out the tip.

They would only have to sharpen it then.. or maybe not if you prefer to do that yourself.
Haha - no worries.

Yes I was referring to @ferider’s idea above.

And this puppy has been sharpened many times so no need for that.

I’m guessing all they’d need to do is put it in a press with the proper sized spreaders (which I was planning on making by grinding down a couple of bolts to roughly bullet-shaped).

Haha - no worries.

Yes I was referring to @ferider’s idea above.

And this puppy has been sharpened many times so no need for that.

I’m guessing all they’d need to do is put it in a press with the proper sized spreaders (which I was planning on making by grinding down a couple of bolts to roughly bullet-shaped).
Ahh gotcha. That would probably work fine tbh. From what I can tell they're just press fit.. I could be wrong though. Never taken one out before.. planned on it one day but so far I haven't had the balls lol.

Fairly sure that if you shopped around you could find the dies for the press.
The unknown factor is how much pressure you would need to get the job done and if a press drill would be enough.

Hi All,
I purchased my Gen 2 Taliwhacker second-hand. When I received it I noticed that the very end of the tip was broken off, but that didn’t bother me too much and I sharpened it out.
Several months later after using the knife a few times I noticed a click in the handle when chopping.
I eventually figured out that the brass(?) lanyard hole rivet/grommet is slightly loose, and the tang is ticking against it. I suspect now that the first owner probably threw the knife, which would explain the tick and the broken tip.
Ok so here’s my question: How would you go about trying to fix this? I know it doesn’t affect performance but this is still my favorite and most-used Swamp Rat and the ticking bugs me…
Anyway I was wondering if anyone knows how much pressure might be involved in spreading out this rivet. Will it require a press (which I don’t own) or could I make due somehow with a vice or “bottle jack” (which I do)?

Send that bad boy in and it will be taken care of ASAP!

Please put it to my attention and include a note with your above post.

Thanks and sorry for the inconvenience.

Jerry

Ummmmmm…

I almost did it - even found a box, but in the end I just couldn’t bring myself to send it in for such a minor fix. 😅

So: Tapped it a few times with a hammer and a couple of really big nails on either end of the tube.

Tight as a drum again. 🙂

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and especially Jerry and Garth for the generous offer!

Ummmmmm…

I almost did it - even found a box, but in the end I just couldn’t bring myself to send it in for such a minor fix. 😅

So: Tapped it a few times with a hammer and a couple of really big nails on either end of the tube.

Tight as a drum again. 🙂

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and especially Jerry and Garth for the generous offer!
I'd be interested to see this repair via nail to be honest. Sounds kinda cool

2 ball pein hammers, bottom one in a vice, and any other type of a hammer to knock on the top one would do the job...

I'd be interested to see this repair via nail to be honest. Sounds kinda cool
Sure thing - I just “re-created the scene” so I could snap some pics.

Note/warning: I am not recommending this fix to anyone. If done improperly it could cause aesthetic damage or even break the tube entirely. Be advised this was done by an amateur blacksmith/knife maker on a user knife.

Note: This was low-tech and I know my shop is a mess.

Ok - I started by rounding off the square ends of the nails on my belt sander.
C07FE7BE-62D4-49B0-9D67-51279C5957D3.jpeg
I then clamped one in my vise at the right height to keep the lanyard tube perpendicular to the nail.
60F27993-3312-431F-B723-6A626532C897.jpeg
I covered both nails with 4 layers of paper towel, then used several light/medium hammer blows with a ~1lb hammer and tested for ticking. It was gone.
A0F1B4B8-E5EC-4A83-8657-4414A65E10AD.jpeg5E645FCB-B971-416D-AC39-FDD91D68C14E.jpeg
No scuffing I can detect either.
1C625DC9-F8C3-4888-9004-A0A98A44813F.jpeg4994EB50-D400-4E3F-B33E-90E21FA48887.jpeg
Pretty simple.

Sure thing - I just “re-created the scene” so I could snap some pics.

Note/warning: I am not recommending this fix to anyone. If done improperly it could cause aesthetic damage or even break the tube entirely. Be advised this was done by an amateur blacksmith/knife maker on a user knife.

Note: This was low-tech and I know my shop is a mess.

Ok - I started by rounding off the square ends of the nails on my belt sander.
View attachment 1858346
I then clamped one in my vise at the right height to keep the lanyard tube perpendicular to the nail.
View attachment 1858333
I covered both nails with 4 layers of paper towel, then used several light/medium hammer blows with a ~1lb hammer and tested for ticking. It was gone.
View attachment 1858339View attachment 1858332
No scuffing I can detect either.
View attachment 1858330View attachment 1858331
Pretty simple.
Worked is what counts! Good job dude👍

Thas what I would have done. but I would probably have beat the thing up to where it was unrecognizable tbh.

👍

Back