Lanyard Holes and Lanyards, Your Thoughts?

But I have have to ask, who gets on some bucking horse with a fixed blade on them? Land on the wrong spot and you have a bit of sharp steel in the anatomy.

The combination of Horsewright's sheath designs and what appears to be the use of heavy leather probably minimizes the risk of the blade going through the sheath if the rider lands on it. But, personally, I agree with jackknife. When riding, I prefer a folding knife to eliminate the risk all together. That said, I'm probably being over cautious.

Back on topic, no lanyard for me. :)

n4k5NhE.jpg

I understand the concerns. However, a small fixed blade instantly available, is actually a safety item not the reverse. Thats why my own personal carry method and I'm certainly horseback more than most, is horizontal crossdraw above my left front pocket. I can get to it with either hand if in a bind. I can't begin to tell you how many small fixed blades I've sold the day after a "wreck". Story usually goes like this; "and I was really in this deal, it was hell of a wreck, needed to cut myself, my horse, the cow the whatever out and I had my trapper but it was in my pocket under my chaps and I couldn't get to it. I need one of your small fixed blades to carry horseback."

Ya got people, horses, ropes and cattle all together in one place and bad stuff can happen quickly sometimes:

fH0aPwa.jpg

Look close there's mine with the lanyard/fob/thong strings.

B65SysD.jpg

The wife too:

WMo2Vkp.jpg

D6daQXe.jpg

That one is done, next:

NTVh2ES.jpg

I've cut three people and four horses out of wrecks in my lifetime. Sometimes there isn't time for a folder or one of your hands is involved in the wreck.

Most of my knives have lanyards- Call them what you wish; Pocket jewelry or as someone earlier posted "effeminate"..They assist me in using the knife in my pocket and on at least one occasion has helped me to find a knife that was lost.
Don't like them? Don't use them..and I can assure you, my knives with lanyards or no, have absolutely no bearing on my character, manliness or otherwise..to suggest makes a statement of its own.

May as well show off my girly lanyard while I am here :rolleyes:
wDFkjHr.jpg

Most of my knives have lanyards- Call them what you wish; Pocket jewelry or as someone earlier posted "effeminate"..They assist me in using the knife in my pocket and on at least one occasion has helped me to find a knife that was lost.
Don't like them? Don't use them..and I can assure you, my knives with lanyards or no, have absolutely no bearing on my character, manliness or otherwise..to suggest makes a statement of its own.

May as well show off my girly lanyard while I am here :rolleyes:
wDFkjHr.jpg
That’s no lanyard, it’s a fob! :mad: :D

I got tired of losing my Swiss Army Knives. I had a nylon belt pouch in uniform, but in civilian clothes it was the front right pocket, and I lost a coupe that way. Got the then brand new One Hand Opening Trekker in 2001, and put about an 18-inch, 1/8-inch bungie type lanyard on the Trekker, carry it about every day and still have it. John

I'd have to agree with the OP that grabbing the lanyard, pulling, then transitioning to the handle are extra steps you don't have to do if you don't draw with a lanyard. I will say if you've ever done work wearing jeans and gloves, pulling the knife by trying to get my gloved hand into my pocket to get on the other side of the knife is a chore and slows me down. While I do have to do the aforementioned transition, if I have a lanyard I can pull the tail and the knife is out of the pocket in a flash.

That being said I do not keep lanyards on my knives.

Back