Lanyard, Ok WTF do I do now?

Heat shrink tubing with hot melt glue has been around for decades. it is excellent
stuff for sealing electrical splices.

but other than the glue, which is on the soft side of polyethylene, the outer shrink tube is thin walled Poly olefin which is a thin soft plastic and not terribly strong either, certainly not as strong as unspliced Paracord.

I don't mean to overstate the obvious, but...

The purpose of some knots is to join two pieces of cord together. There are many interesting ways of doing this in a lanyard or similar structure. The diamond crown knot is a favorite of mine that I use on a lot of fobs. On the other hand, I also like whipping two pieces of paracord together. Meaning, wrapping thin cord around two pieces of cord that are side by side, which joints them together sideways. This is good at the end of a wrist lanyard for example. No big knot. Just two pieces of cord that come together. I also use thin wire for whipping in this way. It's decorative and really strong.

Brian.

What I have on my EDC knife is a loop of paracord terminated in a simple Figure-Eight knot, but I added a thinner alternating sliding "Whipping" to work like a sliding bead.

I momentarily became a "star" in boot camp, by applying "Whipping" to everyone's rope for knot tying class, the instructor asked someone who had applied the whipping to the rope as he had seen several that were well done.

I was engaged in trading with my squad-mates, trading for boot polishing for whippings and knot instruction, as I have never developed a talent for boot/shoe polishing, but I was a boy scout.

Back